What does it mean in German when someone says

Bussi schleck

? I can't find any reference.

The context is as follows: my team leader (a woman from Bavaria) proposed it as a name for our team:) I am afraid it might be a little bit obscene or perverse :D

Did you really hear that or did you see it in a forum or something?
    – Emanuel
    Apr 17, 2015 at 13:49
    The context where you heard it could be helpful. Apr 17, 2015 at 13:59
    Yes, context please. Especially as we have two very different competing answers that can easily be disambiguated by context, by spelling (if you've seen it written) or by geography (if you know where the speaker was from).
    – wolfgang
    Apr 17, 2015 at 14:07
    I don't know the purpose of the team, but if it's business related, and "Bussy schleck" is her proposal, i'm not sure if she's the right person for leadership.
    – Tommylee2k
    Jun 29, 2018 at 9:13

3 Answers 3

"Bussi" (das) means (short, non-French) "kiss".

"schlecken" means "to lick", and "schleck" is the Mickey-Mouse-style* shortened form of it.

The word "Bussi" is used primarily in Austria and Bavaria, I have no idea how much it extends northward. "Bussi" is sometimes also used as a relatively intimate greeting; among close family members, among lovers. It is not considered obscene.

"Bussi schleck" is not a set phrase, but I can perfectly imagine a pair of lovers making it up as a slightly erotic private greeting. The reference to licking makes it slightly obscene; it would be OK for friends of the couple to overhear it, but the couple should not use it in "polite society".

* yes, really: this grammatical form in the German language was essentially made up to translate things like "*sigh*" in Mickey Mouse comics to "*seufz*"); this form is also called "Inflektiv" or "Erikativ" after its inventor, Erika Fuchs.

I assume it is a shortened form of the label

Bussy Mix - 10 Schleckdrinks

as it might appear on receipts or price tags.

"Bussy" is a brand name, owned by the company Busemann GmbH. They manufacture popcorn and ice pops.

"schlecken" means "to lick" or "to lap up" and "Schleckdrink" (approximately "licking drink") is the product name of their ice pops.

As a two language word play it can be quite "dirty" in the erotic sense, since "Bussi" sounds suspiciously close to a vulgar expression for the vagina. The "u" in "Bussi" is pronounced like the "oo" in "mood", only shorter. A "Bussi" is a non-erotic kiss though, which could be to a child or on the cheek.
"Schleck" refers to licking. So to perceive the world play in this sense you have to understand both languages.

Now that's entirely off. amazon.de/Bussy-Mix-Schleck-Drinks-200er/dp/B0066HHJVE - It's hard to imagine Kid's drinks' names contain vulgar allusions.
    – tofro
    Jun 29, 2018 at 7:05
    Please note that the German term for a cat is Muschi.
    – Carsten S
    Jun 29, 2018 at 8:45
    @CarstenS: but even in Germany Pussi leck would be unambiguously vulgar.
    – Takkat
    Jun 29, 2018 at 10:28
    @CarstenS Actually the term for "cat" is "Katze", but "Muschi" in german is used like "pussy" in english, including the vulgar meaning.
    – Javatasse
    Jun 29, 2018 at 13:16
    @Javatasse ... which would be an entirely different show when called "Bussi Terror"... That answer is really extremely far-fetched.
    – tofro
    Jun 29, 2018 at 14:00

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.