Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Are there any well-known German expressions for someone who is very board and detailed in knowledge? for example:

He is a human database

share|improve this question
add comment

4 Answers

up vote 15 down vote accepted

There's

Sie ist ein wandelndes Lexikon.

Sometimes also used in this form

Sie ist ein lebendes Lexikon.

share|improve this answer
+1 for wandelndes Lexikon (I've never lived in a region where the other version is used). –  Hendrik Vogt Aug 27 '11 at 13:49
add comment

One option would be "der/die Universalgelehrte" from the English word "polymath".

add comment

I think both Alleskönner and Tausendsassa could fit as well, if a more colloquial term is needed. Multitalent would be another option.

add comment

The word I would use is "savant." It was originally French, may have been adopted in German, but I'm not sure.

It is sometimes used in German, but only for who are "savant" due to Asperger syndrome, as far as I know. –  Hendrik Vogt Aug 29 '11 at 17:47
I suspect a lot of Germans wouldn't be familiar with that term. I've certainly never heard it used. –  Cass Aug 30 '11 at 13:35
You can use that (the german word is "Inselbegabter"), but it doesn't describe someone with a broad knowledge. Savants are often mentally retarded, but have one particular skill that is far better than that of normal people. That can be perfectly playing music just after hearing a piece once or reciting a telephone book after reading it once. A savant is also not necessarily an autistic person. –  Veitch Sep 6 '11 at 11:32
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.