I know both of them means Climate change but I want to know when either of them is used.

2 Answers 2

Klimaänderung describes a specific change (eg. temperature) or a few things that change which could also happen in a sauna.

Klimawandel means the thing that is happening to our world.

The word used usually in German is "Klimawandel". While "Klimaänderung" transports the same meaning "Klimawandel" simply is the established term.

I think it is worth noting, that "Klimawandel" is somewhat politically loaded (related to the greenhouse effect), whereas "Klimaänderung" seems to be more a neutral word to describe climate changes, which could be caused by anything else.
    – Liglo App
    Jun 4, 2015 at 7:31
    @BarthZalewski That's currently the case, but only because one is the term commonly used in the controversial debates, and the other isn't. A few years back "globale Erwärmung" was loaded and "Klimawandel" wasn't yet. Jun 4, 2015 at 11:01

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.