I would like to ask my work colleagues if they are interested in donating some portion of their time by participating in this fantastic site.

To that end, I wanted to write something tongue-in-cheek like:

"If you are feeling especially magnanimous today, then why not visit and graciously donate some small percentage of your vast knowledge?"

in an e-mail. It was then that I realised not only is my German not good enough to get across this kind of subtle humour without danger of it being offensive, but I can't even translate magnanimous.

So I ask: would grossherzig be a good word in this context for magnanimous?

3 Answers 3

"Großherzig" is an appropriate translation but may not be widely used. Let me suggest more commonly used alternatives:

aufgeschlossen
uneigennützig
selbstlos

If however you intend to use a translation that is rarely used to make your friends curious then "großherzig" or any of the following may be better:

weitherzig, hochherzig, honorig, edelmütig

+1, on the other hand: magnanimous isn't widely used either.
    – splattne
    Sep 3, 2011 at 10:45
  • that's exactly why I put in the second paragraph ;P
    – Takkat
    Sep 3, 2011 at 11:10

Yes,

großherzig

is an appropriate translation.

Another possible translations is großzügig, but the it's more for a material context (donating money for example).

The word edelmütig and großmütig could also be used, but they're rather old fashioned.

I also favor "großherzig". Magnanimous is derived from Latin "magna" (big, groß) and "anima" (heart, Herz).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.