Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

What's the suitable translation of "you guys" or "you lot"? For example,

"Are you lot coming over on Friday?" e.g. informal, you and your friends/family

share|improve this question
add comment

6 Answers

When referring to "you and your friends/family" exclusively (e.g. you ask one person if they and their friends family are coming over tonight), you'll often just use "ihr" if everybody knows who is addressed.

For example, when I ask my sister:

Kommt ihr Sonntag auch?

Then it is implicitly clear that she, her husband and her children are addressed. This may actually be easier in German than in English, since du and ihr are not the same (as you/you). dict.cc, by the way, lists "ihr" as the single translation for "you lot", indicating that the expression is especially used to differentiate from "just you", i.e. a single person.

This can always be used when it is clear who is addressed. When you're referring to a certain group of friends and talking to one of them, "ihr" may be just right.

share|improve this answer
I agree. I'd even say that the construction of "you lot/guys" is only a "workaround" to make up for the lost distinction of "thou/you". –  Jules Oct 3 '11 at 10:07
add comment

If it's only for the informal expression "you lot" then a widely used translation would be almost literal:

"Schaut ihr alle am Freitag vorbei?"

Upvoted, though I think "alle" is too much in most cases (not necessarily, of course), and dict.cc lists just "ihr". –  OregonGhost Sep 5 '11 at 8:48
add comment

"Jungs", "Mädels", "Leute", depending on the context and gender.

EDIT: Need to point out, I'm talking about non-formal, but generally polite language. Other forms are certainly possible, again depending on the context and in most cases the general language level people are speaking: "Kommt Ihr heut' rüber, Ihr Schweine?" is somewhat rude, but might be acceptable in some groups.

I wouldn't necessarily single out "Schweine" here, since that could be substituted by "Penner", "Säcke" or any other otherwise offensive term that people may refer to each other within circles of close friends. –  Jan Sep 4 '11 at 19:13

@Jan: true, that was just one example, thanks for filling in. –  Nikolai Prokoschenko Sep 5 '11 at 7:41

Note that while "Mädels" seems to depend on gender, it is colloquially actually often used when addressing a group of men (at least if the speaker is also a man and part of that group). Not sure though if I would use it in the sense of "you and your friends/family", which is an open group, but rather when referring to a closed group. –  OregonGhost Sep 5 '11 at 8:39
add comment

FYI "you lot" is British English and "you guys" is American English. "You lot" is less respectful than "you guys" since by being singular it deprives those addressed of their individuality, so a single perfect translation of both will not be possible in my opinion.

add comment

Not a literal translation, but I would use something like "ihr alle". The way I understand "you guys" means that "guys" is used to address all members of the group, so I chose "alle" in German.

add comment

What you'd usually say is

Kommt Ihr am Freitag rüber?

IMO, English only uses phrases like "you guys" or "you lot" because there's no other way to distinguish singular and plural in the second person; both forms are identical ("you").

German doesn't need the extension "guys" or "lot" to achieve the same effect: make clear you are talking to and about a group of people rather than a single person.

add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.