Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

What does the abbreviation "gem." mean? E.g. :

Leistungen im Bereich Finanzbuchhaltung gem. bei Leistungsbeschreibung.

share|improve this question
add comment

3 Answers

There's a list of common meanings of the abbreviation "gem." here, but none of them quite fit into your sentence, and I'm not aware of any word starting with gem- that would make perfect grammatical and contextual sense here, either.

I strongly suspect the "bei" slipped in by accident, and what they mean to say is "Leistungen im Bereich Finanzbuchhaltung gemäß Leistungsbeschreibung", i.e. "Services in financial accounting according to the description of services."

share|improve this answer
Agreed. Two remarks: The link you provide seems not too reliable; they offer gemä instead of gemäß. And I think it's worth pointing out that it's slightly ridiculous to abbreviate gemäß by replacing äß with a dot. –  Hendrik Vogt Sep 10 '11 at 8:33
"bei" could also be an accidental truncation of "beiliegender", which means "attached". –  starblue Sep 10 '11 at 12:46
@Hendrik: Yeah, it's not a great list, but at least it gives you some idea of what options there are. I tried to find a more comprehensive list, but had no success. Gem. is a very common abbreviation of gemäß, although I agree that it doesn't save much space. –  Cass Sep 10 '11 at 18:34
add comment

It means "according to". You can stick 'gem.' into an online dictionary like http://dict.tu-chemnitz.de/ and it will come up showing that gem. is short for gemäß which means "according to" or "in accordance with".

add comment

And not to mention it is bad style, cause there is no sense in shorten a word from only 5 to 3 letters.

This does not provide an answer to the question. To critique or request clarification from an author, leave a comment below their post - you can always comment on your own posts, and once you have sufficient reputation you will be able to comment on any post. –  Baz Feb 12 '13 at 15:16
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.