Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In Hamburg there is a street called Eckerkoppel. According to dict.leo.org, Koppel is a neuter noun. So if a German writes "Sein Haus ist in der Eckerkoppel", is the street name treated as a feminine noun simply because it's a street?

share|improve this question
dict.leo.org says "die Koppel" for paddock. –  Hendrik Vogt Sep 11 '11 at 12:53

2 Answers 2

In german, there's both

das Koppel (in english: belt)

and

die Koppel (in english: paddock, see Hendrik's comment)

with the grammatical gender as sole difference between them.

In connection with locations or street names, „Koppel“ usually originates from the second variant. I don't know any example for „Koppel“ as part of a street name in the first sense.

There are also examples for the usage of the word „Gürtel“ to name streets (see Kölner Gürtel or the Wiener Gürtelstraße) or locations (see Grüngürtel, „Speckgürtel“, similar as "Bible Belt" in english).

share|improve this answer
Wow, never heard das Koppel for belt. +1 for the great explanation ;) –  OregonGhost Sep 11 '11 at 14:56

Thank you. I looked at a list of entries on dict.leo.org that said "das Koppel", and in the middle of them was one that said "die Koppel", which I missed. –  Michael Hardy Sep 11 '11 at 17:47

@OregonGhost: ask anyone who did military service - at least that's where I learned that term. –  Jan Sep 12 '11 at 11:55

@Jan: Will do ;) –  OregonGhost Sep 12 '11 at 18:56

@OregonGhost Pferde stehen mit einer Koppel auf der Koppel. –  feeela Sep 13 '11 at 10:56

No, here "Koppel" is female.

For example, it would be correct to say "sein Haus ist im Pulverhofsweg", because "Weg" is male.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.