Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

What is the correct preposition to use with the author of a book? For example, "Hamlet" by William Shakespeare. I think you should use von, Hamlet von William Shakespeare but I have seen bei used, especially with the publisher;

unter dem Titel « Invisible » bei Henry Holt

share|improve this question
add comment

2 Answers

up vote 14 down vote accepted

Von is used to refer to the author: "Hamlet von Shakespeare" or "Faust von Goethe". Note that especially for classical (well-known) literature, another form is often used: "Shakespeares Hamlet" or "Goethes Faust" (not on a book cover, but when e.g. talking about a book).

Bei is used to refer to the publisher. Your example means that the book was published under the title "Invisible" by the publisher "Henry Holt". Bei is never used for the author. The complete wording would be

Erschienen/veröffentlicht unter dem Titel X bei Henry Holt

share|improve this answer
add comment

The correct preposition is von.

Though it's true that bei is often used referring to the publisher of a book; it can be a short form of "bei ... erschienen":

Alle ihre Romane sind bei Rowohlt erschienen.

I guess using bei instead of von is a common mistake made by native English speakers, because bei is a homonym to the English by.

The preposition bei has another literature-related function in German. If you want to describe how a writer depicts something or some people ("im Werk eines Autors"), like in this example:

Die Leute kamen mir vor wie die englische Oberschicht bei Agatha Christie.

share|improve this answer

Note that the "bei" in rsrobbins' last example is correct, since Henry Holt is the publisher, not the author. Just if you thought that this was an instance of this indeed plausible mistake. If not, never mind ;) –  OregonGhost Sep 11 '11 at 15:52

@OregonGhost I was primarily referring to the title of the question which asks for the author's preposition. My second paragraph is about the publisher. :) –  splattne Sep 11 '11 at 16:06

Wasn't there when I commented - +1 for the example "im Werk eines Autors" ;) –  OregonGhost Sep 11 '11 at 16:08
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.