In die deutsche Sprache haben viele jiddische (jüdische) Begriffe Eingang gehalten. Ich würde gerne eine Sammlung starten, und habe Community-Wiki-Fragen so verstanden, als seien diese genau dafür gemacht.

Auf geht's:

• Tacheles reden (Klartext reden)
  • koscher sein (sauber, regelkonform sein)
  • meschugge (bescheuert)
    "Let's talk tachlis...", as in "let's get down to brass tacks", seems to me to be very much an Americanism; if it's used in German, I don't think it came from Europe. At least I haven't come across "reden tachlis" in a Yiddish text. I see "tachlis" usually in the sense of purpose or destiny, as in the case of someone embarking on a course of life towards a definite goal. Sep 13, 2011 at 0:51
    @Marty Green תּכלית רעדן > takhles redn > "Zweckmäßiges reden, zur Sache kommen"; siehe: de.wiktionary.org/wiki/Tacheles_reden
    – feeela
    Sep 13, 2011 at 10:38
  • Interesting that your source calls this a 20th-century import into German. I still think this suggest an American provenance: the American "let's talk turkey" was humorously transformed by Jewish immigrants into "let's talk tachlis", which apparently has currency in German as "tachlis reden". It's not a phrase I've encountered in older European literature. Sep 13, 2011 at 12:44
  • Oha - die Liste enthält ja einiges überraschendes für mich, konterkariert aber dieses Community-Wiki vielleicht etwas - man müßte es quasi en bloc übernehmen, minus der Spalten, die nicht gefragt sind (qua Beispiel) und minus der Zeilen, die wir schon haben. Sep 14, 2011 at 1:35

3 Answers 3

Es zieht wie 'Hechtsuppe' kommt wohl auch aus dem Jiddischen.

• Noch eines fällt mir gerade ein:: 'Kluft', auch wenn es gewisse andere Assoziationen wecken mag.
    – V15I0N
    Sep 12, 2011 at 22:20
  • Kannst Du Dein eigenes Posting nicht ergänzen? Und: Welche gewisse Assoziation erweckt 'Kluft'? Sep 12, 2011 at 23:08
  • Siehe auch german.stackexchange.com/questions/39276/…
    – knut
    Sep 24, 2017 at 18:36
  • Schlamassel (Gegenteil von Masel tov)
  • mauscheln (flüstern)
  • Mischpoke (die bucklige Verwandtschaft :) )
  • malochen (schuften)

schon bin ich mit meinem Jiddisch am Ende

• Tacheles wird schon in meiner Frage gesprochen. Malochen ist jiddisch? Mischpoke habe ich u.a. gesucht, aber kam nicht drauf. Sep 12, 2011 at 23:06
  • Malochen is never a verb in Yiddish, but a baal-melocha is a tradesmen, e.g. carpenter, shoemaker, wagon-driver etc. Mauscheln is a funny case; it's not a word in Yiddish, but I understand that it was adopted as a name for the Yiddish-colored underworld slang. Since the au diphthong in Yiddish is pronounced "oy", it seems to mean to carry on in the style of "moyshe". Sep 13, 2011 at 0:40
    @Marty: It seems your're partly right - it isn't a yiddish verb but a noun stemming from biblical hebrew - see „Maloche“ from the german Wikipedia.
    – tohuwawohu
    Sep 13, 2011 at 5:41

In the comments on a previous answer we are referred to a list of Yiddish words in German. I have to comment on the entry for "shicksa" (non-Jewish woman). The list derives this from the supposed Hebrew word for Christian, "shiks" (sic). The word actually comes from the Hebrew "shikur", meaning drunk. I have to wonder: is "shicker" not known to German-speakers as slang for inebriated?

• Regarding שיכּור‎: You're right, the Duden has beschickern as verb and beschickert as adjective, describing the result. Regarding שיקסע: I doubt whether your etymology is correct. The german and english Wikipedia derive it from שקץ, which sounds reasonable to me.
    – tohuwawohu
    Sep 25, 2011 at 7:40
  • You maybe right about the etymology; my version may be a folkloric legend after all. The spelling is a clue (the qof versus the kaph) that something doesn't fit. But what is your Hebrew shkotz? (or sheketz?) Sep 25, 2011 at 12:27
  • There's a noun שֶקֶץ in biblical hebrew, (Lev 7, 21; 11, 10-13/20/23/41/42; Jes 66, 17; Ezra 8, 10 - as listed by Gesenius) and also a verb with the root שקץ (e.g. Lev 11, 43; 20, 25). Jastrow's dictionary has some references to rabbinical literature for שֶקֶץ, too, and also for שִקְצָה (shiqzah, pl. שִקְצֵי shiqzey). Just out of curiosity, i checked two ivrith dictionaries (NTC and Langenscheidt), they still have שֶקֶץ in the meaning of "unclean creature", "abomination".
    – tohuwawohu
    Sep 25, 2011 at 16:47
  • Maybe we were better off just to leave it as "drunkard". Sep 25, 2011 at 17:18
  • "schicker" for inebriated and "schickern" for to get drunk are known in some regions of Germany, e.g. in Münster (Westphalia) where there is a local lingo called "Masematte" which is a blend of Yiddish and Sinti/Roma language that was originally used as a secret language to keep things from the knowledge of the authorities.
    – deesnook
    Apr 8, 2017 at 12:29

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.