Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I know that I should say:

Ich wohne in der Stadt.

and

Ich fahre in die Stadt.

Because direction is involved in the second verb.

However, should I say:

Muss die Rechtstruktur im Katalog eingebaut werden?

or

Muss die Rechtstruktur in den Katalog eingebaut werden?

Since it is not clear to me whether direction is involved in building a set of rights permissions into a catalog or not.

share|improve this question

It'd be nice if you could change the tile to its English equivalent, I fear if it loses some points you'd like to include if I do it. Thanks. –  user508 Sep 15 '11 at 15:21

I'm sorry, I don't seem to understand. Do you mean change the title to something like "Should I use 'im' or 'den' in this sentence?" –  Edward Tanguay Sep 15 '11 at 15:25

Yes exactly, an English title is preferable for the English body. –  user508 Sep 15 '11 at 15:53

Now that they've corrected the errors in the title, better not to edit it! –  user508 Sep 15 '11 at 15:57
add comment

3 Answers 3

up vote 3 down vote accepted

... building a set of rights permissions into a catalog ...

"into" is your clue; it indicates direction.

Compare:

"Ich wohne in der Stadt." -- "I live in the city."

"Ich fahre in die Stadt." -- "I drive into the city."

Thus, "Muss die Rechtstruktur in den Katalog eingebaut werden?" is correct.

Note also you're missing a "Fugenelement" in "Rechtstruktur". It should be either "Rechtestruktur" (I'd use that with, say, access rights on a computer) or "Rechtsstruktur" (when it's about the law).

To confuse you entirely: "... die Rechtestruktur im Katalog einbauen..." works, too. I suppose I'd go with the accusative, though.

share|improve this answer

"im Katalog einbauen" can has a different meaning then "in den Katalog", depending on the context; so better to use the more clear "in den"… –  feeela Sep 15 '11 at 15:53

thanks for the "into" tip, that seems to be pretty much 1-to-1 with English, nice –  Edward Tanguay Sep 16 '11 at 9:14
add comment

Besser

... in den Katalog ...

Dagegen würde ich „im Katalog“ nur dann nutzen, wenn der Katalog bereits einen bestimmten Textabschnitt enthält und nur noch geklärt werden muss, wo im Katalog er endgültig untergebracht werden soll.

Zur Terminologie: Das Verb „einbauen“ ist in dem Kontext vielleicht etwas zu technisch - man baut ein Bauteil oder eine Komponente ein. Für Text würde ich eher „einfügen“ oder „in den Katalog aufnehmen“ nutzen. „Rechtstruktur“ ist m.E. ungebräuchlich, ich bin dem Begriff noch nie begegnet. Je nachdem, worum es im Detail geht, wäre vielleicht „Lizenztext“, „Lizenzhinweis“ oder „rechtlicher Hinweis“ besser.

Bei "Rechtstruktur in den Katalog einbauen" habe ich zuerst an eine Rechteverwaltung in einer Software gedacht – insofern kann auch ein technisches Wort passend sein, aber wie du sagtest, kommt das auf Kontext an. –  feeela Sep 15 '11 at 15:55
add comment

Muss die Rechtstruktur im Katalog eingebaut werden?

This is equivalent to "Ich wohne in der Stadt", there is no direction involved, the "Rechtstruktur " is already in the catalog in this case and you ask whether to do something with it.

Muss die Rechtstruktur in den Katalog eingebaut werden?

With the Akkusativ, a direction is implied - the "Rechtstruktur" is not yet in the catalog and now you ask whether or not to put it there.

add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.