Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

For example in the sentence:

Outcome measures for this study include three-year-survival rate and relapse.

share|improve this question
add comment

4 Answers

up vote 2 down vote accepted

"Outcome measures" does not translate easily. One possibility is:

Das Ergebnis wurde anhand von ... bestimmt."

In a medical study - as it seems to be the case here - we can replace "Ergebnis" by a more precise "Behandlungsergebnis" or "Therapieerfolg".

share|improve this answer

+1 for "Ergebnis(se)", which may be specified further –  feeela Sep 15 '11 at 19:55
add comment

Ich würde "Metriken" für "measures" vorschlagen. In der Summe vielleicht "Ergebnismetriken".

Note that "Metrik" may be something else:duden.de/rechtschreibung/Metrik –  Takkat Sep 17 '11 at 14:40

Good point, I hadn't thought of that. –  elena Sep 19 '11 at 14:33

@elena: It sounded good to me at first, too, but I think I was confused because it sounded so much like the English metrics, which can be used that way, and I knew it was a valid German word - it took me a while to remember that as a German word it means a different thing. –  Cass Sep 19 '11 at 14:59
add comment

The most common german term for this seems

Ergebnisgröße (Vernacular Title)

and means a (measurement) quantity to judge the result, not a result itself. It's not only used in medical studies. Similar to output quantity, it's a quantity to evaluate something. For example in a clinical study, an outcome measure could be Patientenzufriedenheit, Gelenkbeweglichkeit (nach Anwendung einer neuen Operationsmethode, die evaluiert und mit anderen verglichen werden muss), Rückfallquote (bei neuen Suchttherapien)... So these are quantities you define yourself in the context of a specific study/meta-study and also how these quantities are measured exactly (Operationalization problem). There are a thousand ways to measure Patientenzufriedenheit, so it's crucial to find an objective one, while something like Blutdruck has a fixed and known method.

Note that Ergebnisgröße at that link is the translation of outcome variable, not of outcome measure. (Maybe that doesn't matter.) –  Hendrik Vogt Sep 21 '11 at 13:20
add comment

As an alternative to Ergebnis for outcome (as suggested by Takkat and by Hauser) I propose Ziel. On Linguee I found the versions

Zielparameter, Zielkriterien, Zielgrößen

for outcome measures.

add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.