German Language Stack Exchange is a bilingual question and answer site for speakers of all levels who want to share and increase their knowledge of the German language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Does (did) German have something like what they call possessive apostrophe in English?
If not, what does the role of it in German language?

For example:

This is my father's hat.
My best friend's husband.

share|improve this question
Well, we do have the Deppenapostroph... – Jan Sep 19 '11 at 14:50

@Jan: Doh! I should had searched it in Wikipedia's German version. – user508 Sep 19 '11 at 14:52

I've just read in that article that interestingly enough, we actually had the possessive apostrophe for some foreign words until about 2 centuries ago, even though it's no longer correct today. I never knew that... – Jan Sep 19 '11 at 14:56
@Jan: What about posting an answer? ;-) – user508 Sep 19 '11 at 15:23

Whoops, I actually misread that from the article. Disregard my comment about the foreign words, it's total and complete bull :-) So sorry @Gigili, we won't get an answer out of this... – Jan Sep 19 '11 at 15:29
up vote 15 down vote accepted

German attaches the genitive suffix without an apostrophe.

Das ist meines Vaters Hut / Das ist der Hut meines Vaters

Der Mann meiner besten Freundin

Julias Mann. Martins Frau.

You will occasionally see " 's " as a genitive ending in German,

Toni's Imbiss

but that is - to put it mildly - inspired by English orthography, and incorrect in German.

share|improve this answer
you might add, that if the name ends with an "s", like Hans, the possessive "s" isn't just added. The car of Hans is: Hansens Auto or Hans' Auto (apostrophe at the end). – Hinek Sep 20 '11 at 13:44
Not to mention "Toni's Imbis's - Alle's mus's rau's" – Hagen von Eitzen Feb 22 '14 at 15:12

No, it doesn't. German has a possessive -s without the apostrophe.

Das ist der Hut meines Vaters.

Der Mann meines besten Freunds.

Using a possessive apostrophe anyway is a fairly common mistake, especially by people whose native language is English, but it's certainly not correct.

share|improve this answer
Should read: especially by people who got the main part of their education from RTL and BILD. I doubt that most persons mentioned in advertisings like "Gabi's Nagelcenter", "Petra's Hairstudio" and so on do speak english. BTW, a Deppenapostrophsteuer could save either the Euro or the german language. – Ingo Sep 20 '11 at 17:12

"certainly not correct"... yet. A prevalent error will become correct. Okay, maybe not in Germany, but that's how languages usually work. ;-) – Jürgen A. Erhard Sep 20 '11 at 22:39

@Jürgen: Well, Willi's Würstchenbude is already recorded in the Duden, see rule 16.2.b). – Hendrik Vogt Sep 21 '11 at 10:04

@Hendrik: so... does that mean what I think it might? That it's actually... permitted? There's no explanation for "Willi's" like there is for "Andrea's"... – Jürgen A. Erhard Sep 21 '11 at 10:12

@Jürgen: In my opinion it means that the Duden switched to just recording the common mistakes :-) – Hendrik Vogt Sep 21 '11 at 10:14

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.