Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm always uncertain when writing zuviel (or zu viel?). From my feeling I'd write

Das sind zu viele Aufgaben.
Ich sehe zuviel fern.

Is this correct? And what is the spelling rule behind this? (And since the question doesn't yet meet the quality standards: It would also be interesting to know whether the last spelling reform changed the rules.)

share|improve this question
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 6 down vote accepted

Since the spelling reform, the two word-version is the correct one ("zu viel"), unless you are using a noun as in "ein Zuviel an Schokolade".

share|improve this answer

Great, so I don't need to be uncertain anymore in the future. Do you know when zuviel was used before the reform? –  Hendrik Vogt Sep 21 '11 at 18:25

@Hendrik Vogt in nearly any case, as Olaf stated, the one is the old form, the other the new one… –  feeela Sep 21 '11 at 22:24

@Hendrik Vogt: I think the rules were the same as for "wieviel": For countable things, it's "wie viele" / "zu viele", else it is "wieviel" / "zuviel". This is one of the things that became simpler with the reform. –  OregonGhost Sep 22 '11 at 19:30

@OregonGhost: Ah, thanks! So it seems my feeling above was right as far as the old rules are concerned. Do you know any reference? –  Hendrik Vogt Sep 22 '11 at 20:20

@Hendrik Vogt: No, no reference. This is just what I learned in school. –  OregonGhost Sep 22 '11 at 20:30
show 1 more comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.