Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I know who would've been reading the email, there isn't an unknown agent; so is "Mitteilungen werden nicht gelesen" strictly correct?

This was sent to me as an 'out of office' email response.

share|improve this question
add comment

3 Answers 3

Yes, this is passive, and this phrase is certainly used often in office environments. The reason for the passive voice can be to convey that in fact, nobody will read this message - neither the recipient nor their secretaries, deputies, family members or the like. Writing this in active voice ("Niemand wird Ihre Mitteilung lesen.") would sound downright rude.

So by using the passive voice, the sender is able to politely concentrate on the message not being read by anyone, instead of directly specifying the parties who will not read that message (thereby possibly implying there will be somebody else who will read it anyway).

share|improve this answer
True that it is more polite. I've also seen "Nachrichten weden nicht weitergeleitet" as a replacement. –  OregonGhost Sep 22 '11 at 18:46
And since there is no subject, there is nobody responsible, to put your blame on. –  user unknown Sep 23 '11 at 4:48
add comment

Yes, it is passive. And yes, it is correct. Just because the agent is known doesn't mean they must be mentioned, does it?

add comment

Yes, it is passive, and you can very well use the passive if the agent is known:

Die Kathedrale wurde von Gaudi gebaut.

is perfectly valid German, although I'd usually prefer the active voice in such cases.

add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.