Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I think in the following sentence, "alle" should be replaced with "jede":

Diese Busse fahren alle fünfzehn Minuten vom Hauptbahnhof ab.

It means "these buses leave every fifteen minutes from the main railroad station", doesn't it? Are both correct? Do they mean exactly the same?

share|improve this question
add comment

2 Answers

up vote 12 down vote accepted

You use alle for "15 minutes" because "minutes" is plural. You would use jede for singulars, like jede halbe Stunde. You could not use them vice-versa.

share|improve this answer
Though I think "alle halbe Stunde" is used colloquially. –  mosaic Sep 30 '11 at 20:19
IMHO there's almost no difference between "alle halbe Stunde" and "alle dreißig Minuten". And i doubt whether this is colloquial - i can't think of a situation where this phrase would be inappropriate (maybe simply because i can't think of an alternative ;) ). –  tohuwawohu Oct 1 '11 at 13:19

"Alle halbe Stunde" sounds wrong to me, I would say "jede halbe Stunde" or "alle halben Stunden". –  Phira Oct 3 '11 at 13:52
"alle halbe Stunde" does not sound wrong at all to this native German. But it is col. :-) –  Florenz Kley Oct 8 '11 at 14:14
add comment

I think it is something like a fixed term.

dwds says

alle bezeichnet den wiederkehrenden Wechsel; immer wieder nach  
alle halbe(n), alle (drei) Stunden

mitteldeutsch aller
aller fünf Minuten, zwei Jahre, drei Schritt 
share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.