I translate true as wahr, but I couldn’t establish a sentence like its English original. Could you please elaborate on my attempt.

That is not true of motivation in the classroom setting.

Das ist über die Motivation im Klassenzimmer Einstellung nicht wahr.

I perceive true of motivation as a noun here. Am I wrong?

You should remember to capitalise I (the pronoun) in English.
    – Jan
    Dec 7, 2015 at 14:01
    Could you please explain what the sentence in English mean? Normally, I would translate "true of" as "das gilt für .." or "das betrifft ... "
    – Iris
    Dec 7, 2015 at 15:20
    Are you sure that the english sentence is correct? To me it seems like it should be That is not true about the motivation in the classroom setting. Could you explain in different words what it is supposed to mean? Dec 7, 2015 at 16:29
  • @Iris the whole phrase was: "Which of the following is not true of motivation in the classroom setting?"
    – Dragut
    Dec 7, 2015 at 19:45
    @Bergmann, I still don't understand it.
    – Iris
    Dec 8, 2015 at 7:28

2 Answers 2

Yes (true of motivation is not a noun).

About your translation: the German word "Einstellung" refers to a setting as in "browser settings", not a situation or scenario as in the original sentence. If you just leave it out and change "über" to "für", you have a grammatically correct German sentence.

Depending on the context, better translations might be:

• Das ist bei der Motivation im Klassenzimmer nicht der Fall.
  • Das trifft auf die Motivation in der Klassenzimmersituation nicht zu.
    Instead of Klassenzimmersituation you could say im schulischen Rahmen or Unterricht cf. Linguee
    – Iris
    Dec 8, 2015 at 15:17

I have problems with your example, so I chose a different one to explain “to be true of something”. The translation is “zutreffend sein für”, “auf etwas zutreffen” or “für jmdn./etw. gelten”.

An example is:

Yet it is certainly true that we have to be careful with complex technology, but this is not only true of AI, it is also true of nuclear power.

which can be translated to:

[...] das trifft nicht nur auf KI zu, sondern gilt auch für Kernkraft.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.