Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

When writing German I often write a noun and then wonder which verb would be the best first for it, e.g. I write

bei einer Firma, wo wir eine ähnliche Lösung _______ haben.

then I wonder what would be the best verb:

• eingesetzt
  • gefunden
  • gebaut

It would be nice to have a (concordance?) site to go to where I type in "Lösung" and it tells me the ten most common verbs used with that noun.

Where is the best site to get this kind of information?

share|improve this question
add comment

4 Answers

up vote 3 down vote accepted
+"lösung * haben" ingenieur | projekt

I use linguee quite alot (probably uses a own search algorithm for google and mainly the google index, someone knows?), but why not use google itself? Linguee seems to fit better if you want correct translation of a phrase, searching google with code above you also find

Lösung entwickelt/erarbeitet haben (which sounds imo much better than gefunden/gebaut)

I added ingenieur | projekt for the correct context/people using this formulation

share|improve this answer
add comment

Duden has some limited capabilities to find computer generated associations with adjectives, verbs or other nouns. However some of these results don't make sense or are immensely dependent on context (e.g. here "einen".

Another place you can look up is DWDS where some citations are listed for a given word.

add comment

Linguee works reasonably well, but doesn't give statistics:

http://www.linguee.de/deutsch-englisch/uebersetzung/eine+%E4hnliche+l%F6sung.html

add comment

But the most often used term needn't be a good choice. For example, if you construct something, gebaut can be appropriate, but maybe gefunden, which would fit for creative work, research and so on better, is in general used more often, but your building solution might not involve research at all.

add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.