Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I am translating a text about somebody who did "solitary and theoretical work". I assume "solitary" is here used as opposite to "in a team", so "einsam" or "alleine" would not do. How would you translate this?

share|improve this question
add comment

4 Answers

I would either say eigenständige Arbeit or Soloprojekt, if it's a project.

share|improve this answer
add comment

I'd propose "als Einzelner", assuming this is about a scientist or mathematician doing serious research.

"allein" is also almost neutral and could be used.

"einsam" could be appropriate if his ideas were opposed by the community.

add comment

Einsam would do it, or selbständig.

"Ich arbeite einsam", that's not very common. –  feeela Oct 21 '11 at 9:33

"in einsamer Heimarbeit entstand ...", oder "im einsamen Elfenbeinturm". Leistungen sind mitunter "einsame Klasse". –  user unknown Oct 21 '11 at 12:57
add comment
up vote 0 down vote accepted

In the end I used 'einzelgängerische Arbeit'. It seemed to be the best fit for me.

Thank you all for your input!!!

Einzelgängerisch does have a pretty strong connotation though, typically negative. I would understand it as someone who actively avoids teamwork and defends his/her area of responsibility. –  Hackworth Oct 25 '11 at 7:37
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.