Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I am translating a text about somebody who did "solitary and theoretical work". I assume "solitary" is here used as opposite to "in a team", so "einsam" or "alleine" would not do. How would you translate this?

share|improve this question

4 Answers 4

up vote 0 down vote accepted

In the end I used 'einzelgängerische Arbeit'. It seemed to be the best fit for me.

Thank you all for your input!!!

share|improve this answer
Einzelgängerisch does have a pretty strong connotation though, typically negative. I would understand it as someone who actively avoids teamwork and defends his/her area of responsibility. –  Hackworth Oct 25 '11 at 7:37

I'd propose "als Einzelner", assuming this is about a scientist or mathematician doing serious research.

"allein" is also almost neutral and could be used.

"einsam" could be appropriate if his ideas were opposed by the community.

share|improve this answer

I would either say eigenständige Arbeit or Soloprojekt, if it's a project.

share|improve this answer

Einsam would do it, or selbständig.

share|improve this answer
"Ich arbeite einsam", that's not very common. –  feeela Oct 21 '11 at 9:33
"in einsamer Heimarbeit entstand ...", oder "im einsamen Elfenbeinturm". Leistungen sind mitunter "einsame Klasse". –  user unknown Oct 21 '11 at 12:57

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.