German Language Stack Exchange is a bilingual question and answer site for speakers of all levels who want to share and increase their knowledge of the German language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I've just seen an election poster which says "Verantwortung und Augenmaß" which literally translates into "Responsibility and quick'n'dirty measurement".

What does it mean in a political context?

Enter image description here

share|improve this question
Note that "quick'n dirty" has a sense of sloppiness that Augenmaß does not (necessarily) have. It aims for good judgement, whether you talk about physical measurements or use the term in a metaphorical sense. – Stephie Feb 18 at 7:20
quick'n'dirty measurement in politics? come on – Alex Feb 18 at 14:50
@Alex I see what you did there... – OddDev Feb 18 at 14:58
up vote 23 down vote accepted

Augenmaß has two meanings, here the second fits:

1. Fähigkeit, in angemessener Weise zu handeln; Besonnenheit, Umsicht
    Beispiele
    das rechte Augenmaß verloren haben
    Politik mit Augenmaß (Besonnenheit, Realitätssinn)

So a very rough translation would be
"Responsibility and a sense of good judgement/appropriateness"

share|improve this answer

Ah, easy as that :) I felt like "Yeah, that fits somehow... but why?" It's clear now - thanks. – OddDev Feb 18 at 7:21
@OddDev it might be related to to eyeball: To measure or estimate roughly by sight – overactor Feb 18 at 11:50

i feel like both meanings dont fit :) – Alex Feb 18 at 14:53

@Alex That's just because you know politicians... – Deduplicator Feb 19 at 3:19

While (very) close, 'Augenmaß' has a more professional co-notation than 'eyeballing' - Which roughly translates to 'Schätzen' – tofro Feb 20 at 7:37

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.