Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

i'm a female writing to my male friend who is a platonic friend.how should I, at the end of my letter, write:

"your friend britt"

At the end of his letter he put Dein Freund Joerg but I noticed Freundin is the same for friend (that is a girl) and girlfriend.

share|improve this question
wo ist jetzt der Unterschied zw. deine Freundin und deine Freundin? Abgesehen davon, dass ich Deine Freundin schreiben würde, und davon, dass Freund auch im Sinne von Boyfriend verwendet wird? –  user unknown Oct 19 '11 at 12:19

I think "girlfriend" can also mean "female friend", especially among girls. –  fzwo Nov 12 '11 at 18:52

2 Answers 2

I think if it's obvious that you're not his girlfriend from the context you can write

Deine Freundin Brittany

Especially when "Freundin" is used with a name it commonly denominates platonic friendships.

Tom: "Meine Freundin studiert Geschichte." (girlfriend)

Tom: "Meine Freundin Anja studiert Geschichte." (friend)

share|improve this answer
Just to add this: a German would never sign a letter to her lover with "Deine Freundin xxx". How we do that would be another nice question here. ;) –  Takkat Oct 19 '11 at 6:50
+1 for splattne for the name thing - I've never noticed so far, but it's true. Also, +1 for Takkat - 100% agreed. –  Mac Oct 19 '11 at 7:26

@splattne: Suggestion to add: If it's the girlfriend and her name should be mentioned, the usual form is "Anja, meine Freundin, studiert Geschichte." –  Jan Oct 19 '11 at 8:27
"Meine Freundin Anja" can still mean "my girlfriend Anja", and "meine Freundin" can still mean "my friend" (if he has only 1 female friend or if it's obvious who is referred to) so that's not a rock-solid translation. Even "eine meiner Freundinnen" can mean that the author is poly-amorous ;) Only "feste Freundin" or some term of endearment ("mein Schatz Anja") or adjective ("meine liebe Anja") is definite. In other words: It's complicated! –  Hackworth Oct 19 '11 at 10:10

If I hear "Meine Freundin studiert Geschichte" I'd certainly think "GF". Just a friend would rather be s.th. like "Eine Freundin von mir studiert Geschichte". But: "Meine Freundin Anja" is not a bit uncertain. –  Jürgen A. Erhard Nov 2 '11 at 21:51

Note that this is a symmetric situation, "Freund" also denotes "boyfriend".

So, if your German-speaking platonic friend signs his letter like that, you can absolutely mimic that (if you are sure that he also know that you are in a platonic friendship :) ). Letter-endings among friends can be very idiosyncratic, anyway.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.