German Language Stack Exchange is a bilingual question and answer site for speakers of all levels who want to share and increase their knowledge of the German language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

As I've experienced the preposition "ab" has local, temporal usages. But I was wondering if it has usage with a personal pronoun such as "dir" or "mir".

After you nothing has changed in my life. (Ab dir nichts ist in meinem Leben geändert.)

Here is a time period implied, that's why it seems to me possible after all. I don't know but that would be completely wrong. Actually this usage is very common in my mother language, especially in poetry.Maybe with more explaination I would be imply "after you left me or after our farewell".

share|improve this question
up vote 5 down vote accepted

Ein Beispiel klingt für mich falsch. Ich würde "seit" statt "ab" verwenden.

Seit dir hat sich nichts in meinem Leben geändert.

Man verwendet "seit" für Zeitpunkte in der Vergangenheit ("seit letztem Montag") und "ab" für Zeitpunkte in der Zukunft ("ab nächstem Montag"). "seit" bezieht sich auf einen Zeitpunkt oder ein Ereignis ("seit dem Erdbeben").

Ich würde auch mit "seit" kein Pronomen verwenden, sondern z.B. sagen

Seit ich dich kenne, ...

Von diesem denkwürdigen Tag an...

Mit Pronomen geht es auch

Seit dir weiss ich, ...

wobei dann impliziert ist, dass "seit dir" z.B. "seit ich dich kenne" oder "seit wir verheiratet sind" bedeutet.

share|improve this answer

There actually is a way to use nach dir like that - I am not sure if it is what you're looking for (you did not supply enough context in your example to judge that) but it would mean "nachdem wir unsere Beziehung beendet haben..." - i.e after we broke up. Thus meaning the exact opposite of what Robert is referring to. You would use that in sentences like

Nach dir habe ich keine Frau mehr geküsst

Ab or seit (that maybe even works somewhat) does not sound quite right to me in that context.

EDIT: Now that you have supplied a bit more context: This (nach dir) actually seems to be what you are looking for.

share|improve this answer

here is a temporal usage you mention with "nach dir", right? – user1474062 Feb 23 at 14:35

right - like in "nach Weihnachten" ;) – tofro Feb 23 at 14:40

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.