German Language Stack Exchange is a bilingual question and answer site for speakers of all levels who want to share and increase their knowledge of the German language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I saw the following phrase in an article, written in this year:

Oktober d.J.

Because the full form of d.J. is dieses Jahres, would that mean October 2016?

If I wanted to mean October 2015, can I write v.J. for voriges Jahres?

share|improve this question

More context, please. Could you give the source, for example? – Stephie Feb 26 at 11:51
@Stephie Unfortunately not. I wanted to use the phrase again, in a similiar way, then I thought of that what was written in the article, but I can't find the source or context anymore. However, the answer I accepted answers all my questions, and it probably would also answer the questions of future visitors. – wythagoras Feb 26 at 11:54
up vote 5 down vote accepted

Yes you can. v.J = vorigen Jahres - see the usual abbreviations from the following list (from Duden):

• dieses (besser nicht diesen) Jahres (Abkürzung d. J.)
  • im Jahr[e] (Abkürzung i. J.)
  • laufenden Jahres (Abkürzung lfd. oder l. J.)
  • künftigen Jahres (Abkürzung k. J.)
  • nächsten Jahres (Abkürzung n. J.)
  • vorigen Jahres (Abkürzung v. J.)

But anyway I would prefer Okt. 2015 instead because it will not expire next year :)

share|improve this answer

Thank you, but does Oktober d.J. mean Okober 2015 or Oktober 2016, assuming it is 2016? – wythagoras Feb 26 at 11:41

If you say it in 2016 Oktober d. J means Okt. 2016. Oktober v. J. means Okt. 2015. – ladybug Feb 26 at 11:49
könnte l. J. nicht auch letzten Jahres bedeuten? – WayneEra Feb 26 at 12:52
könnte man in der Tat mißverstehen. Vielleicht sollte man es besser ausschreiben. Ich habe die Abkürzungen aus dem Duden kopiert. – ladybug Feb 26 at 12:57

This is - as so often - a matter of context.

If the author writes about current events, yes, it could mean October 2016.

However, if the article describes something happening in, say, 1961, d.J. would consequently mean October 1961, even if the article is published 2016.

Unfortunately the snippet you give does not allow a definitive answer.

share|improve this answer
And part of this is that d. J. can also stand for des Jahres instead of dieses Jahres. – chirlu Feb 26 at 12:10

If the author is wise enough, he'd say "j. J." for "jenes Jahres" ;) – Em1 Feb 26 at 15:39

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.