Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In an antique shop in Germany, I wanted to ask what is the last price after discount (both the short form and the complete sentence).

By googling, I've found:

was ist letzte preis ?

I wonder if it is the correct one to use, without using any definite articles like "der", and why "letzte"?

share|improve this question
I am really not sure what you want to ask and I suspect that this is one more example where a cultural communication problem is wrongly reduced to a grammar question. –  Phira Oct 20 '11 at 22:36
@Phira: Huh? you're not sure what I want to ask? Sorry but I've read your comment twice and didn't get what you mean really. –  user508 Oct 20 '11 at 22:57

@Gigili: are you inquiring about the final price or are you trying to reduce the final price by asking a suggestive question? –  Joachim Sauer Oct 21 '11 at 7:33

@JoachimSauer: Both, I wanted to know the price and realize if there is a price reduction possibility. –  user508 Oct 21 '11 at 7:56
add comment

2 Answers

up vote 11 down vote accepted

While bernd_k posted several alternatives for asking whether it's the last price, if you want to know what the last price is (and not whether it is one), try one of these:

• Was ist der endgültige Preis?
  • Was kostet [das Objekt] am Ende / letztendlich / unterm Strich?
  • Wieviel muss ich bezahlen?

There are, of course, a lot of alternatives if you're still negotiating. bernd_k's examples fall into this category. If you want to ask if the seller will go down, you can ask, for example:

• Kann man da noch [preislich] etwas machen?

In the example you found, the article is required, but I think you wouldn't actually say "Was ist der letzte Preis?" in German. At least I never heard that.

share|improve this answer

It should be "endgültige" or "endgültiger"? –  user508 Oct 21 '11 at 7:53

@Gigili: It's "endgültiger Preis" or "der endgültige Preis", because it's "der Preis". –  OregonGhost Oct 24 '11 at 8:26
add comment

No, it is not correct. Better forms are

Ist das Ihr letzter Preis?

Ist das Ihr endgültiger Preis?

Ist das Ihr letztes Angebot?

Here the goods have no fixed prices. Prices will be negotiated.

share|improve this answer

Oder auch "Ist das der letzte Preis?" –  user unknown Oct 21 '11 at 13:14

You can replace 'Ihr' by 'der'. The usage depends whether you think that the other can decide to reduce the price himself or not. –  bernd_k Oct 21 '11 at 13:22

... meaning: if you use 'ihr', you assume, he is, but if you use 'the', you leave it open. –  user unknown Oct 21 '11 at 15:28
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.