German Language Stack Exchange is a bilingual question and answer site for speakers of all levels who want to share and increase their knowledge of the German language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

The meaning of the German word "abkündigen" is discussed here. I'm interested in translating sentenses like:

Das Betriebssystem Windows XP wird von Narhalla 2.0 (Release 11.11.2011) nicht mehr unterstützt.

From this discussion on meta, I can't derive if this question is off topic here.

share|improve this question
Why do translation-requests to English appear in the german.SO, rather than the english.SO? – feeela Oct 22 '11 at 15:46
@feela Please look…. Perhaps in the end they will go to, where it is intended to be on topic. Currently this is the only page, where I can hope to get an answer. – bernd_k Oct 22 '11 at 15:59
I’m voting to close this question as off-topic because it is about English, not German. – chirlu 1 hour ago

2 Answers 2

up vote 5 down vote accepted

A typical verb is

to discontinue

e.g. support for a product.

So, something along the lines of

We will discontinue supporting Win XP for Narhalla 2.0 and later versions.

share|improve this answer

There is no commonly used word abkündigen in German — maybe in specialized use (e.g. contract)?
I think it is a simple mistyping of ankündigen, meaning to announce, as B and N are neighbours on the keyboard.

share|improve this answer
In colloquial use you may be right, but at least in a business context it is relatively common. – Jens Neubauer 1 hour ago
Welcome to German Language Stack Exchange. Feel free to take a tour of the site. For any questions about how it works, consult the help center. – Jan 1 hour ago
Wiktionary defines it as "die Absetzung eines Produktes vom Markt ankündigen". – Em1 52 mins ago

Your Answer

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.