Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

This question is constructed to have an excuse to ask a question about the word "Chuzpe"

I want to link to German Wikipedia. Please note the section Beispiele. I just find it delicious.

There is an entry in English Wikipedia too, but without the example.

On twitter I found it used as

Sag mal, du hast ja schon eine krasse Chuzpe, dich auch noch locker mit mir zu unterhalten.

But I think generally it isn't used together with adjectives. Is that correct?

share|improve this question

Why? "Mit großer Chuzpe ..." - Why not? –  user unknown Oct 22 '11 at 22:18

2 Answers 2

It is more often made into an adjective, as in chutzpahdig. I like the ah ending because it is more reflective of the Yiddish spelling.

share|improve this answer

Huh, I'd never heard that before. Interesting. –  Cass Oct 25 '11 at 17:25

"Chuzpe" is mostly used alone and not with a qualifying adjective. I suppose if someone is said to have "Chuzpe", then this statement, absolute as it is, is best used on its own - it certainly doesn't need any more amplification, and it's quite hard to think of a way to relativize it.

See also its synonyms

"Dreistigkeit, Frechheit, Unverschämtheit, [...] Unverfrorenheit, Schlitzohrigkeit",

which are also only rarely used with an adjective.

share|improve this answer

I realize that the link I posted contains "vollkommene Unverfrorenheit", but at least to my ears, this sounds quite strange. That's why I replaced the adjective with an ellipsis. –  Jan Oct 25 '11 at 14:04

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.