German Language Stack Exchange is a bilingual question and answer site for speakers of all levels who want to share and increase their knowledge of the German language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am trying to find out what the collocation "in den Fokus rücken" means. - move the focus? - to be at the center of attention? - become the focus?

I am really not sure. I am especially wondering, if it means that something is at the center of attention, with no reference meaning to the past, or if it means that something got back to be at the center of attention, like it was in the past, then no more, then now once again.

The sentence I am trying to translate it from is this:

"..Sie haben (gewisse Ergebnisse) aber eine heftige Debatte erzeugt, die den Unterricht wieder stärker in den Fokus rückt".

share|improve this question
up vote 9 down vote accepted

It's quite literal:

im Fokus is the center of attention and
rücken means to move something.

So you if you have in den Fokus rücken you to move it to the center of attention, or put a spotlight on it. At the moment just before, there was no special attention or focus on the object you are talking about.

The preceding wieder (=again) on the other hand indicates that the object was in the focus at some earlier time.

share|improve this answer

There are different ways to translate the sentence you have quoted, based on the context. Especially "Unterricht" can be translated in different ways, e.g. classes or eduction. One possibility could be

"They (some events) have started a heated debate, which moved the classes back into the focus (of the discussion)." or (more freely) "..., which brought the problems with education back into the focus." I hope you get the idea...

In any case, the "...Unterricht wieder stärker..." indicates that the focus was there in the past, then was lost, and is now coming back. Without this "wieder", there would be no reference to the past, indicating that this is the first time that the focus would be on the eduction issues.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.