Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I want to tell someone the file which is being sent is "empty",

Maybe the proper translation of empty is "leer" and I found:

Leerdatei : dummy file

Is it the correct usage? While dummy is not really what I meant.

share|improve this question

Do you mean an actually empty 0-byte file, or something like a form which has not been filled in? –  Tim Oct 29 '11 at 15:11

@TimN: The person claimed by following the attachment, there are some folders in the file (also the file I wanted) but there's nothing inside. I'd like to reply to it that "the file is empty" or it's an "empty file". –  user508 Oct 29 '11 at 16:24

1 Answer 1

up vote 9 down vote accepted

In German, you'd say you will send an empty file. In IT-context an empty file is known as "leere Datei".

Correct possibilities are:

Eine leere Datei anlegen.

Die leere Datei "xyz.xyz" öffnen.

Ich werde eine leere Datei senden.

share|improve this answer

+1 And a useful correct possibility is: 'Eine leere Datei beziehungsweise leere Dateien löschen' –  bernd_k Oct 29 '11 at 11:04

@florianb: Thanks, But I don't want to send an empty file, I'd like to inform a person that the file he has sent me is "empty". –  user508 Oct 29 '11 at 14:33
@Gigili The file you have sent me is empty: Die von Ihnen gesendete Datei ist leer. (you can replace "Ihnen" with "dir" if you know the person well and would call him/her by his/her first name) –  Preli Oct 29 '11 at 16:51
Ob man die Datei sendet oder empfängt - leer bleibt leer. –  user unknown Oct 30 '11 at 1:06

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.