Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

When someone turns 10, 20, 30, 40, 50... it is common in Germany to say that they are celebrating their "runder Geburtstag" which is usually celebrated in a larger way, inviting a larger circle of people, etc.

When I translate this into English, I usually say, "she is celebrating her rounded birthday" but I don't think people really understand that out of a German context.

Is there a common expression for this in English?

share|improve this question
This is a very interesting question, but IMHO it's more about English than German Language and Usage. Maybe we get some more esp. colloquial variants from there, in addition to Takkat's nice answer? –  tohuwawohu Oct 30 '11 at 9:21
Fully agree with @tohuwawohu here. As people at ELU may not be able/willing to translate from German there still may be some additional or better ideas there. –  Takkat Oct 30 '11 at 10:40
@The one who downvoted: You're supposed to leave a comment if there's any reason for that! –  user508 Oct 30 '11 at 13:22

@tohuwawohu: An English equivalent for the German phrase is being asked here, How they could translate German to English on EL&U? I guess it's an on-topic question as Takkat has answered completely right. –  user508 Oct 30 '11 at 13:26
@userunknown: When one side is German it's reasonably O.K. Read faq before downvoting the question you don't like. Translation questions are completely on-topic. –  user508 Oct 30 '11 at 20:22
show 3 more comments

2 Answers

up vote 6 down vote accepted

Best English match to "Runder Geburtstag" may be

Milestone birthday

Colloquial (where "runder Geburtstag" may also be used) we may say

The big four-O (or any other number)

share|improve this answer

I've only ever heard someone say "big <Number>-oh". I can't say I've ever heard someone say "milestone birthday", but I think it would be understood just as well. –  Glenn Nelson Jun 23 '12 at 22:10
add comment

One (slang) of describing such a birthday is a birthday with a new "handle" (3-, 4,-, etc.)

This expression (and others connected with this question) is not all that common, probably because the basic idea is not as prevalent in America as in Germany.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.