German Language Stack Exchange is a bilingual question and answer site for speakers of all levels who want to share and increase their knowledge of the German language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

German supposedly has no equivalent of the progressive/continuous tense in English (e.g. "we are going"). However, I sometimes hear sentences such as "wir waren essen" or "er ist telefonieren". Are such sentences grammatically correct, and what is the difference in meaning to the "normal" versions ("wir aßen", "er telefoniert")?

share|improve this question

4 Answers 4

up vote 2 down vote accepted
  • "wir waren essen" or "er ist telefonieren" sind nicht korrekt, aber umgangssprachlich (auch schriftlich) bedingt durch ihre weite Verbreitung zulässig.
  • "wir aßen" und "er telefoniert" sind korrekt.
  • Keine Unterschiede in der Bedeutung.
share|improve this answer
Not sure I agree there: IMO the construction Tim asks about implies that the person denoted by the subject is away doing whatever they're doing. "Wir waren essen" means "we were out eating". "Er ist telefonieren" means "He is out of the room, speaking on the phone". – elena Nov 1 '11 at 10:17
Should this answer be translated? Usually answers are written in the same language as the question. – musiKk Nov 3 '11 at 10:51
Definitely not the same meaning. "Wir waren essen" does not mean "we were eating"; it means "we were someplace to eat". "Er ist telefonieren" does not mean "he is doing a phone call"; it means "he has gone somewhere to do a phone call and still hasn't returned". See Veredomon's answer. – Hans Adler Mar 18 at 16:20

I have to agree with elena's comment on Barnie's answer. "Wir waren essen" has a different meaning than you are asking for.

If you want to use a progressive/continuous tense, then you can use (colloquially) the combination with "am":

Wir sind am Essen. Er ist am Telefonieren.

See also:

Interestingly, this is quite regular (and should thus be easy to remember): "Wir sind essen. Ich bin telefonieren." work as present tense forms of "Wir waren essen. Er war telefonieren." (to express that we're currently/as of now away for eating etc.). – O. R. Mapper Mar 15 at 11:00

I am not a native speaker, but the context Wir sind beim Essen/Er ist beim Telefonieren sound correcter than . . .am . . . .

In response to David Helseth: "Wir sind gerade am Essen" is something quite commonly said when e.g. the phone rings while the family is having lunch, etc. It can then connote the inability or unwillingness to talk to the caller for longer than absolutely necessery. – Rainer Verteidiger Mar 14 at 22:25
Thank you, Rainer.I noticed, however, that you put the adverb "gerade." To my American(English) ear, that now sounds better than without. Would "schon" also work in this context? – David Helseth Mar 15 at 14:19
sorry for being so late. Anyways, "schon" would not necessarily work in the context of the family dinner described above. "Wir sind schon am Essen" can be translated as "we're already having lunch/dinner", i.e. "earlier than you are used to, which is why today I can't take your call now even though it usually works at that time on other days". – Rainer Verteidiger Jul 14 at 9:06

This construction is the so called "Absentive", which is still disputed, but can be found in many European languages. Basically "Wir waren essen" means "We were off eating". The trick is the location referred to - "wir waren essen" always means that you were off from that place.

Let's assume that a friend comes to your place and sees some tools, then asks you what you did. "Ich war meinen Wasserhahn reparieren" would be totally wrong, because you haven't left the place your friend is referring to. "Ich war den Wasserhahn einer Freundin reparieren" would be correct.

It is grammatically correct, native speakers will understand the intricacies of this rather complex construction. But it will be frowned upon in higher level contexts and is still very rare in written German.

"would be totally wrong" - that depends on the granularity of places considered. If you are referring to your "home", it is indeed wrong; if the tools are specifically in the living room, you can indeed say "Ich war meinen Wasserhahn [drüben im Badezimmer] reparieren." – O. R. Mapper Jul 14 at 14:03

Your Answer

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.