Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I learned that "dümpeln" or "dahindümpeln" comes from low German "dümpelen" where in the sailors language it means that a boat is bobbing around not moving forward. Today it may also be used when work does not proceed in the desired speed

Dieses Projekt dümpelt seit Monaten so dahin.

Is there still a regional difference in the usage of this word? Is it also used (or understood) in southern regions of Germany, in Switzerland, or in Austria?

share|improve this question
add comment

3 Answers 3

up vote 13 down vote accepted

It is understood and used in Austria in the metaphoric sence. I would not have suspected that it is a Northern German word and I did not know the origin.

share|improve this answer

Same for me. I'm from south-west Germany (Black Forest, approx 30km to Switzerland). –  knut Nov 1 '11 at 16:32

It i used an understood also here near Frankfurt (Main). –  0x6d64 Nov 2 '11 at 6:32

Well understood here, where the Danube river crosses the Bavaria/Baden-Württemberg border. –  Hackworth Nov 2 '11 at 11:16

I am living in Austria (born 1965 in Graz, living in Vienna since 1997) and this word is wellknown here. It is used in its original meaning (Lisa dümpelt seit einer Stunde in der Badewanne.) as well as metaphoric (Dieses Projekt dümpelt nun schein weit drei Monaten vor sich hin.). –  Hubert Schölnast Apr 15 '12 at 10:20
add comment

Understood in Bavaria as well - including the nautic origin... as far as I'm aware, even this far from the coast it is primarily used with smaller boats when they move slowly or not at all. Pretty common as a metaphor, which always conjures up the mental image of small craft.

add comment

In Switzerland it's also understood.

add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.