Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I was scanning through a seminar about "Grammatik und Design" which was held in Germany last month and found "ich biere gern" in it. Is it a correct term to use?

Außerdem entstand auch in einigen Fällen der Neologismus „Ich biere gern“. Der Einfluss von Design führt somit sogar zur Weiterentwicklung der Sprache und ist damit nicht zu unterschätzen.

If yes, does it apply to all kinds of drink or just "bier"?

share|improve this question
Currently it's incorrect but it seems the text/seminar is about creating (designing) new elements in a language. The phrase is even declared as a neologism. –  musiKk Dec 1 '11 at 16:01

@musiKk: Yeah, I think that's the case and you're right but it's written there anyway, one would think it's a normal sentence and can be used like everything else. –  user508 Dec 1 '11 at 16:05

Well, it's true that the term being declared as a neologism may suggest it's already widely used. It might even be the case. I have to concur with nd01 in that I never heard of it though. However most natives—albeit being puzzled—may guess what it means and I can imagine this being some sort of trend word in certain societies. –  musiKk Dec 1 '11 at 16:12

My guess is this phrase was coined as a persiflage of the once ubiquitous advertising slogan "Ich rauche gern". Both form and content are very similar. –  fzwo Dec 2 '11 at 10:09

Thank you for this post! As a native speaker I really like this expression and its already widley used within my cricle of friends! :) –  user1092 Dec 6 '11 at 22:35

4 Answers 4

up vote 10 down vote accepted

Are you sure that you didn't misread the sentence - or that it was a typo? As a native speaker, I have never heard of bieren. I would consider it incorrect.

As for other drinks, it is also not possible. There are, however, some constructs that at least sound like a drink would be in them, even if they mean something different:

• ich weine = I am weeping
  • ich wässere = I am watering (e.g. plants)

Update after reading the PDF:

I suppose, this is the PDF for "Grammatik und Design". The sentence used is in page 3:

Außerdem entstand auch in einigen Fällen der Neologismus „Ich biere gern“.

The text explicitly states that the sentence in the question is a neologism, i.e. it is a language construct that has been newly formed. Many neologisms are not considered correct for quite a while, yet they can be used to command the attention of the listener/reader. Maybe, after a while, this construct then will be considered correct. An example for this would be another advertisment-related neologism "Hier werden Sie geholfen", which is also not considered correct, but is used in noncommercial context and originated from an ironic manner.

share|improve this answer

No, I didn't misread .. I have it open right at the moment in pdf version. I added the sentence in my question. I guess you're right anyway, thank you for your answer. –  user508 Dec 1 '11 at 15:57

+1 now after the edit. –  OregonGhost Dec 1 '11 at 17:09

This reminds me of "science is a verb now!", see also books.google.com/… –  AndreKR Dec 4 '11 at 4:03

Interestingly, it is not uncommon in English to use the word "beer" as a verb, although I've only ever heard it in the context of someone saying:

"Beer me!" (Meaning "give me a beer")

There are many other similiar words in English, such as "I glove my hands" etc. They make the sentence short and give it grip. I think this should be one of the things where I don't dislike neologies... –  glglgl Aug 18 '13 at 12:20

If I came across the term "ich biere gern" without specific context, I'd assume biere to be the conjunctiv of (an inexistent verb) bären.

Of course, then, since bären as a verb does not exist, I'd further assume it could be an abbreviation of gebären, so that I'd internally translate:

ich biere gern, wenn ich noch jünger wäre

to

I'd like to give birth if I was younger.

No, "bieren" is not a German word!

However for marketing purposes new words or new compositions of exisiting words may be invented to put a message forward be it either by attracting people because of the obvious error or be it from space limits on a product's label, or on an advertisment.

Interestingly the example you gave is still well understood as it follows general rules of conjugation similar to known verbs like:

frieren: ich friere, Du frierst, wir frieren...

"Bieren" is not an exisiting verb in German but still we can conjugate it like this

bieren: ich biere, Du bierst, wir bieren...

as we could also conjugate any other fantasy word:

gigilieren: ich gigliere, Du gigilierst, wir gigilieren...

If the slogan created was good enough this newly invented word may eventually enter common colloquial usage. That of course is like winning a lottery for the company that created the slogan but it happens.

+1 for gigilieren. –  OregonGhost Dec 2 '11 at 9:45

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.