Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

This answer introduced me to Yiddish.

Is Yiddish taught and used in Germany/Austria/Switzerland/Lichtenstein? Is it a dialect of German or a separate but similar language?

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 11 down vote accepted

Yiddish (literally "Jewish", "Jiddisch" in German) is taught and used by Jewish people mainly. It is not a German school subject.

I wouldn't call it a dialect like the Bavarian dialect. It is a High German language, derived from Middle High German combined with Hebrew, Aramaic and Slavic.

It was used by the Ashkenazi Jews ("German Jews") living in Germany along the Rhine and spread from there.

share|improve this answer
So, no, it is not taught, and neither used nor understood by the broad populace. I have never heard it in ordinary use. Then again, I don't think any of my friends are jewish. –  fzwo Dec 5 '11 at 11:55
+1 for the answer. However, the german language loaned a lot of words from the Yiddish language, and a lot of speakers are not aware of this. For some examples see de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jiddismus and de.wikipedia.org/wiki/… –  0x6d64 Dec 5 '11 at 15:55

It was very common in Poland and the Baltics as well... Due to well known reasons, it is almost extinct in Europe now. –  Jules Feb 1 '12 at 12:02

So few Jews live in Germany these days that, arguably, Turkish is far more relevant a language for most. –  Raphael Jun 5 at 8:33

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.