Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Watching Futurama, one of the characters said:

"das schaff' ich schon!"

What exactly does this mean, and how does "schon" change the meaning?

(I don't remember, but I think it was Fry, which makes me think it's something that kids say to their parents when they don't want help!)

share|improve this question
Good question! I have no idea how to describe this. There also is no direct translation. Interested to see what people come up with –  Pekka 웃 Dec 8 '11 at 12:25
add comment

3 Answers

up vote 8 down vote accepted

You've already described the meaning quite accurately - think of a situation where someone's facing a difficult situation or task, and other people doubt whether he or she will handle it. To express his/her (self-)confidence that the result will be positive, one could say

„Das schaffe ich schon!“ / „Das schaffst Du schon!“ / „Das schaffen wir schon!“

"Schon" may convey different meanings. The german "Duden" enumerates the most important ones. In your example, it would be #4 - expressing confidence, often in reply to doubts expressed by someone else.

As translation I would propose:

"I can handle it" / "I can manage it"

I think using "can" is stronger than "will" - as an attempt to catch the meaning of the "schon".

share|improve this answer
add comment

The 'schon' in this position is a modal particle, expressing the speakers need to soothe themselves or the person adressed.

Das schaffe ich. = I'll make it. (stating a fact) Das schaffe ich schon. = I'll make it, don't worry. (reassuring)

Lookup wikipedia for mor info on modal particles: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_modal_particle

add comment

I can do this for sure!

The "schon" emphasizes the anger of anyone doubting that. It's very colloquial.

Synonyms are

Das packe ich schon!

add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.