Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

The closest translation I can find so far is Aufgabenliste which is more literally "Task List".

Is there a more commonly used, native way to express the common english phrase "To do list" when using it as a heading or label of such a list?

share|improve this question
add comment

2 Answers 2

up vote 11 down vote accepted

I do not know what the difference between a task list and a to-do list is, but you can use:

Aufgabenliste
Abarbeitungsliste
Liste der offenen Aufgaben
To-do-Liste (we borrowed that word)

share|improve this answer

Thanks! In definition there is certainly little to no difference between "Task list" an "To do list", however in common usage you rarely see "Task list" and "To do list" is the much more familiar usage. Informally at least. –  silent__thought Jan 2 '12 at 22:26

To-Do-Liste and Aufgabenliste are the most common ones. You can use either. –  fzwo Jan 2 '12 at 23:13
What about "Aufgabenzettel", especially if one really means this sheet of paper? –  Alexander Galkin Jan 3 '12 at 23:06

That's a suitable translation, too, @AlexanderGalkin. –  John Smithers Jan 6 '12 at 13:39

Aufgabenzettel makes me think of the sheet of paper with your homework on it that gets handed out at university rather than a to-do list. –  fifaltra Dec 31 '13 at 10:05
add comment

In addition to John Smithers' answer, this is another term I've heard being used:

Pendenzenliste

I'd say there is a minor difference concerning the connotation:

Aufgabenliste: a list of generic to-do items

Pendenzenliste: a list of pending items

share|improve this answer
Are you from Switzerland? I've never heard this term and when looking it up, Duden tells me it is used in Switzerland: duden.de/rechtschreibung/Pendenz –  John Smithers Jan 6 '12 at 13:47
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.