Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

How do you translate Infoabend in English?

linguee translates it as "information evening" which sounds odd to me

and LEO doesn't even have an entry for it.

and "open house" is another kind of event, and is translated as "Tag der offenen Tür".

An Infoabend is usually just a more casual event usually with a presentation and time afterwards to ask questions and meet the people at a clinic, company, organization, etc.

share|improve this question

Pons also uses "information evening" and it is used online very often: google.de/search?q=%22information+evening%22 –  John Smithers Jan 3 '12 at 17:49
add comment

2 Answers

up vote 3 down vote accepted

The German "Infoabend" is a more colloquial or modern form for "Informationsveranstaltung" (when held in the evening). Depending on the context there are many possible translations to English, most closest may be:

Welcome meeting
Information meeting

In a commercial setting we may also use

Roadshow

In case its part of a project planning there is

Kickoff meeting

The latter also exists as a loanword in German.

share|improve this answer

Further types of meetings that might fit here (depending upon the context) are "orientation meeting" (for newcomers, new employees etc.), "brown bag meeting" (for informal meeting during lunch or dinner). –  Alexander Galkin Jan 3 '12 at 23:04
add comment

It might sound odd, but I've seen it used and it pretty much addresses what an "Infoabend" is.

I've also seen:

Q and A meeting
share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.