German Language Stack Exchange is a bilingual question and answer site for speakers of all levels who want to share and increase their knowledge of the German language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

My understanding of the typical construction of a sentence/clause in German is that the 2nd position is occupied by a verb so

"Ich glaube das nicht."

and

"Das glaube ich nicht."

are both valid. However, certain words occupy the 0th position. The two examples which come to mind are "denn" and "aber."

"..., denn ich glaube das nicht."

Unless there's some rule that I am totally missing, does anyone know of a relatively comprehensive list to become familiar with?

share|improve this question

I'm not sure if using "denn" as the first word is valid at all. It's a word that usually only begins a "Nebensatz" - "Ich bin verwirrt, denn ..." – Florian Peschka May 26 '11 at 13:48

@ApoY2k: good point... I'll edit the question... – ghshtalt May 26 '11 at 13:49
@ApoY2k: Denn does not begin a "Nebensatz", otherwise it would be ..., denn ich das nicht glaube, which is not correct. It connects "Hauptsätze" and can also be the first word. See Zwiebelfisch for details :) – OregonGhost May 26 '11 at 14:30

@OregonGhost: thank you for that link! I think that they name for the words I was looking for are 'koordinierenden Konjunktionen,' correct? (That is, opposed to 'subordinierenden Konjunktionen'). – ghshtalt May 26 '11 at 15:22

@ghshtalt: Yes, I think so. – OregonGhost May 26 '11 at 15:26

Maybe what you are looking for are "Bindewörter / Konjunktionen"?

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konjunktion_(Wortart)#Konjunktionen_der_Deutschen_Sprache

Those words can be used to express causality

Ich ging nach Hause, aber kam nie an.

But they can also be used as a first word in a sentece

Obwohl es mir schlecht geht, ging ich in die Schule.

share|improve this answer

My understanding of the typical construction of a sentence/clause in German is that the 2nd position is occupied by a verb

Reading your examples: are you familiar with the word order in subordinate clauses?

Conjunctions like "obwohl" usually induce a subordinate clause, where the verb is not supposed to be 2nd.

The words you are looking for are the nebenordnende Konjunktionen. That is, conjunctions that connect two main clauses. (The term nebenordnend isn’t an exact correlation to ‘connect two main clauses’ since two subordinate clauses of the same level can also be connected by some nebenordnende Konjunktionen.)

I don’t give you an exhaustive list, because some of these can act in a coordinative and a subordinative manner depending on the sentences involved. What you can take home as a rule is:

If you use a conjunction to connect two main clauses it will occupy the zeroth position in the second clause.

Your rule is somewhat circular, because the only difference between subordinate and coordinate clauses is whether the conjunction is subordinating or coordinating. When building sentences, you start with the meaning of the conjunction (i.e., the relation between thoughts you want to express). Whether you end up using subordinate or coordinate clauses is a consequence of that. – Wrzlprmft Dec 16 '15 at 8:21

@Wrzlprmft I don’t know where you see the circular reasoning. I am assuming correctly that we are talking about the blockquoted bit? – Jan Dec 17 '15 at 22:46

Yes. The problem is that the conjunction usually dictates whether you will connect two main clauses (and thus whether it will occupy zeroth position). – Wrzlprmft Dec 18 '15 at 5:42

@Wrzlprmft That’s assuming ‘if a conjunction occupies zeroth position it will connect two main clauses’ (which is probably also true). But I don’t consider that assumption part of my answer. I’m assuming somebody has worked out the conjunction they need and that both parts will be a main clause; they only want to know whether to say ‘und gehe ich …’ or ‘und ich gehe …’ I’m providing assistance for that case. – Jan Dec 18 '15 at 22:13

Denn, aber, oder und und have zero position.

Welcome to German Language Stack Exchange. Feel free to take a tour of the site. Visit the help center to learn more about how it works. Please note that we prefer comprehensive answers, not just one-liners. This one reads much more like a comment than an actual answer. – Jan Dec 13 '15 at 14:10

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.