Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Oans, zwoa, drei, g'suffa!

The first three words in the above quote are Bavarian for "eins, zwei, drei". Is "g'suffa" also Bavarian, and what does it mean?

share|improve this question

4 Answers 4

up vote 19 down vote accepted

It's a Bavarian dialect expression and it means gesoffen. That's the Partizip Perfekt of "saufen": colloquial/vulg. for "trinken" (to drink).

share|improve this answer
+1 - Zudem ist es ein feststehender Trinkspruch. –  Tomalak May 26 '11 at 14:08
+1 nur im Zusammenhang mit Bier anzuwenden. –  bernd_k May 26 '11 at 14:21

Is that expression from "In München steht ein Hofbräuhaus?" –  Tom Au Jun 17 '11 at 16:29

@Tom_Au The expression is older than the song. –  splattne Jun 17 '11 at 17:21
A good translation would also have to include that "g'suffa!" is meant as a kind of prompt or even military-style order to take a gulp of beer. –  0x6d64 Nov 27 '11 at 15:47

"g'suffa" means "to guzzle" the drink down; it is not just drinking.

Und was heißt to guzzle? Saufen, schlucken, verschlingen - danke. –  user unknown Aug 28 '13 at 6:23

My translation would be

"Down the hatch".

Well, I'm still learning a lot about the German language but I know that "Eins, Zwei, Drei" is "1, 2, 3" and "g'suffa" is chug, gulp or guzzle. So this clearly is a drinking song! My uncle's ex wife would sing this and drink German beer.

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.