Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

While the phrase "das ist alles" literally means "that is all", are there any other meanings that can be taken from it?

For example, when my kids ask if there is any more apple juice, is "Nein, das ist alles" (while holding up the empty bottle) an appropriate way to say that there is "no more"? Or is there a better way to do that?

share|improve this question
add comment

2 Answers 2

up vote 3 down vote accepted

Das ist alles.

is an appropriate answer in my opinion. It is a short form of

Das war alles, was noch da war.

The expression can also used in other situations:

(In a store)
Shop assistant: "Kann ich sonst noch etwas für Sie tun?"
Customer: "Nein danke! Das ist alles."

or

He: "Warum willst du mich verlassen?"
She: "Ich liebe dich nicht mehr. Das ist alles."

share|improve this answer

Is it the German equivalent of "that's it"? Especially in your last example. –  user508 Jan 10 '12 at 9:09
@Gigili yes, I guess so. –  splattne Jan 10 '12 at 9:15

I have to disagree with the first statement. To me "Das ist alles" clearly implies the fact that there is some. You "point" to this "some" by saying "das". It is technically not a demonstrative pronoun, yet it works like it. "Das war alles." is ok since it is in past but in present you would point to void while indicating that there is still something. "Der (Apfelsaft) ist alle" or simply "Alle!" or "Leider alle!" are more common in the situation with the juice, I'd say –  Emanuel Feb 24 '12 at 9:52
add comment

The colloquial usage of "alle" (note the missing 's') in the following sentence

"Der Apfelsaft ist alle"

is etymological related to "alles", "all" in the meaning of the whole but in this context means that all is used up.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.