Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In German there is some confusion on how to pronounce the letters 'ch' in "China". I heard all of following variants:

[ˈçiːnaː] - "ich"
[ˈkçiːnaː] - "Bäckchen"
[ˈkiːnaː] - "Kino"
[ʃiːnaː] - "Schnee"
[tʃiːnaː] - "Tschüss"

These differences seem to be regionally accentuated but still they are variable. Which pronunciation is accepted? Are there variants that should better be avoided?

share|improve this question
Accepted pronunciation: duden.de/rechtschreibung/China –  John Smithers Jan 13 '12 at 13:42
add comment

1 Answer 1

up vote 26 down vote accepted

The 'correct' standard German pronunciation for China is /'ç.../) but in Southern Germany and in Austria they say 'Kina' (/'k.../).

In some regions (for example where I live) some people say 'Schina' (/'ʃ.../), but they also say 'isch' instead of 'ich' or 'Mädschen' instead of 'Mädchen'. That is, we pronounce the 'ch' in a different way, but that's not necessarily considered wrong, though it's not standard German.

The best way (imho) is to say /ç/ as in 'ich', then everyone will accept it.

Edit: I found a wikipedia article giving some pronunciation rules. Amongst other things it says:

Außerdem kommen für ch auch die Aussprachen als sch [ʃ] und tsch [tʃ] vor:

• wie [ʃ] als umgangssprachliche oder varietätenspezifische Variante von [ç] am Wortanfang (Chemie, China),

• in nicht (vollständig) integrierten Fremdwortschreibungen vor allem aus dem Französischen und Portugiesischen (als [ʃ]: Champignon, Charlotte, Recherche), dem Englischen und Spanischen (als [tʃ]: Chip, chatten, Macho).

This means it is acceptable to pronounce it as /ʃ/.

As summary: You can say China, Schina and Kina, but in case of this country there seems to be no 'Tschina'-pronunciation, although it is possible for some other words starting with 'Ch'.

An additional information: The same is valid for 'Chemie', but NOT for 'Chemnitz' and 'Chiemsee'. Both are spoken with the K-sound.

I want to link an article from belleslettres.eu about the right pronunciation of the word Chemie. You should notice this quote:

Welche Aussprache Ihnen auch immer eigen ist, Sie liegen damit richtig. Denn für die drei Varianten /ʃ/, /ç/ und /k/ finden sich jeweils so viele Sprecher, daß man von keiner Standardform durch Mehrheit sprechen darf.

share|improve this answer

Other words starting with "Ch" and spoken as "K": Cholera, Chlor (chlorine). Both words have roots in the Greek language, AFAIK. –  0x6d64 Jan 14 '12 at 8:32

@0x6d64 This is absolutely correct, there are much more words (Chaos, Charisma, Chor,...). But as far as I know, for these words the pronunciation is never questioned. –  Em1 Jan 14 '12 at 12:51

To my ears, the schina-variant [ʃiːnaː] does not sound like standard German. I am living in Vienna and have lived and worked for some years in Berlin. –  The_Fritz Jun 13 '12 at 14:08

@The_Fritz That's exactly what I am saying by "That is, we pronounce the 'ch' in a different way, but that's not necessarily wrong, though no standard German." It is not standard German, but it is the usual pronunciation of some people. –  Em1 Jun 13 '12 at 14:21
Both the "Ausspracheduden" and Siebs "Deutsche Hochsprache" only give the "Ch" option for China (IPA: [çi:na]). Siebs writes (in my translation): "Ch is pronounced ç in the initial sound of greek words, notably (namentlich) in front of a light vowel: Charon, Eucharistie, Chemie [...], in orientalischen Wörtern wie [...] China [...]. The initial sound ç is transformed in the processes of Germanization (Eindeutschung) in "k", notably before dark vowel and consonant: [...] Chemnitz, Chor ...". Of course, this only applies to the standard language, in real life, [çi:na] and [ki:na] are regional. –  Ursula Aug 4 '13 at 22:23
show 3 more comments

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.