Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In Dreyer/Schmitt, "bäckt" is given as the main third person form of "backen". Since I never used this and have not heard it often in my area (northern germany), I was very surprised about this and wondered if this can be right. Are both forms still equally valid? Are there regional differences?

share|improve this question
Here in Franconia "bäckt" is used almost exclusively. –  0x6d64 Jan 21 '12 at 11:38

Additional to the answer check the Duden. The alternatives are mentioned. –  Em1 Jan 21 '12 at 21:12

"0% accept rate" is not very nice, please accept some answers if it's possible for you. –  user508 Jan 24 '12 at 16:34

1 Answer 1

up vote 8 down vote accepted

Both forms are equally valid. The differences are regional in use, not in meaning. I did find that "backt" is sometimes listed as the more informal of the two, but that may again be regional. Both forms can be used equally, as opposed to something like "buk" (rather dated or extremely formal) vs "backte" (standard) for the past tense.

share|improve this answer

+1, though "buk" is fine even today, and it's a great example for an older form that has evolved from strong to weak. –  OregonGhost Jan 24 '12 at 11:53

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.