Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I am a German teacher at the secondary level, and my German 2 students are reading the Lese-Novelas von Hueber Verlag, such as Anna, Berlin. The book is very good for beginners, but I'm running out of activities to do with the text. So far we have written journal entries from the different characters' points of view, created and performed dialogues for scenes, illustrated chapters, answered review questions, and done summaries in English. After spending two weeks on the book, these activities are getting repetitive. Does anyone have any more ideas of how to engage students with the text, both to check comprehension and get them to use the language?

share|improve this question

closed as off topic by John Smithers, Alenanno, Takkat, Em1, bernd_k Feb 3 '12 at 22:23

Questions on German Language Stack Exchange are expected to relate to German language within the scope defined by the community. Consider editing the question or leaving comments for improvement if you believe the question can be reworded to fit within the scope. Read more about reopening questions here.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

This doesn't have anything to do with German specifically. I don't have the rep to vote to close, but I think it's probably off topic. –  StrixVaria Feb 3 '12 at 17:43

@ccrockett: There are many questions that deal with reading/learning, have you tried looking at them? Look at the right, under "Related". –  Alenanno Feb 3 '12 at 19:31
I would say this belongs on educators.SE, but seeing that it's still in commitment, it's probably okay here. However, you might want to check out the proposal: area51.stackexchange.com/proposals/23685/… –  bitmask Feb 3 '12 at 22:26

1 Answer 1

Why do you have to stick with one book, if it's already pretty much worked through? While repetitio est mater studiorum as the Latin guy would say, it can become pretty boring for the students.

And on a second note, language is very much about talking. It reminds me of having Russian at school and we learned spelling and grammar without end, but we didn't learn talking, which is pretty sad. So I would recommend to let them talk - and by talk I don't mean artificial conversations following a template, but talk freely, even if it's full of mistakes.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.