Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'd like to know how should we translate

"Don't be a wuss (or cry-baby)"

into German? Which of these options would be the correct one?

share|improve this question
As trivial translation request off topic. –  user unknown Feb 10 '12 at 0:20
Agree to @userunknown Two minutes using google would answer the question, tops. –  Em1 Feb 10 '12 at 7:47
Non-trivial translation requests are on topic. –  Takkat Feb 10 '12 at 8:27
@Takkat Imho Sei keine Memme fits best. Alternatively Sei kein Weichei or Was bist du für ein Schlappschwanz?. If you're looking for the latter, it is on-topic, but if you're looking for a general translation (and he does), you find both Memme and Weichei, without doubt. Reiß dich zusammen is a better translation for Get a grip or Get hold of yourself or Pull yourself together –  Em1 Feb 10 '12 at 8:58
@Takkat: There is no context given to make a finer suggestion. Just list the leo results, and you have a valid answer. –  user unknown Feb 10 '12 at 18:36

6 Answers 6

The word Weichei is the "mother" of all decending Weicheiwörter.

A couple of years ago, there was quite some hype about these words and people came up with more and more synonyms for Weichei, as this textfile shows.

I guess you have expressions like that in other languages as well, but 3000 is really impressive, even though many of them are really far-fetched...

Ergänzung: Obiger Link funktioniert nicht mehr, hier ist etwas vergleichbares, sogar mit doppelt so vielen Begriffen.

share|improve this answer
Das hatte ich schon total verdrängt :D +1 dafür –  Em1 Feb 10 '12 at 7:49

I would use:

Sei keine Memme

You can find more words in leo.

Perhaps you could also use:

Reiß dich zusammen (Pull yourself together!)

Awesome! Thanks. –  Pedro G. Rodrigues Feb 9 '12 at 22:33

I would suggest

Heulsuse

as a translation for cry-baby.

As an alternative to Weichei you can also say

Sei kein Waschlappen.

Wikipedia says that this word (literally: washing mitt) can be used to describe a person with weak spirit. As far as I know, it's only used for men.

Correct, might be a bite dated, though. –  Martin Peters Apr 17 at 7:17

I also suggest

"Stell Dich nicht so an!"

Refer to meanings 9 and 10 in the Wiktionary article for "anstellen".

Ähnlich: Hab dich nicht so –  Em1 Feb 10 '12 at 14:09

I'd go with:

• Sei kein Weichei
  • Sei kein Baby
  • Sei kein Feigling
"Heulsuse" is also used in the context of children knowing no other reaction than crying. –  guidot Apr 16 at 13:21

protected by c.p. Apr 16 at 22:43

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality answers, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site.

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.