Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'd like to know how should we translate

"Don't be a wuss (or cry-baby)"

into German?

share|improve this question

As trivial translation request off topic. –  user unknown Feb 10 '12 at 0:20

Agree to @userunknown Two minutes using google would answer the question, tops. –  Em1 Feb 10 '12 at 7:47
Non-trivial translation requests are on topic. –  Takkat Feb 10 '12 at 8:27

@Takkat Imho Sei keine Memme fits best. Alternatively Sei kein Weichei or Was bist du für ein Schlappschwanz?. If you're looking for the latter, it is on-topic, but if you're looking for a general translation (and he does), you find both Memme and Weichei, without doubt. Reiß dich zusammen is a better translation for Get a grip or Get hold of yourself or Pull yourself together –  Em1 Feb 10 '12 at 8:58

@Takkat Let me add, however, it is possible to translate Don't be a wuss as Reiß dich zusammen, of course. But it is not the primary choosing. Knut gave the best answer. It is Sei keine Memme and perhaps Reiß dich zusammen. And for this reason, I maintain. (Even if not, I can't unvote ;p) –  Em1 Feb 10 '12 at 9:03

4 Answers 4

I also suggest

"Stell Dich nicht so an!"

Refer to meanings 9 and 10 in the Wiktionary article for "anstellen".

share|improve this answer
Ähnlich: Hab dich nicht so –  Em1 Feb 10 '12 at 14:09

I would use:

• Sei keine Memme

You can find more words in leo.

Perhaps you could also use:

• Reiß dich zusammen (Pull yourself together!)

Awesome! Thanks. –  Pedro G. Rodrigues Feb 9 '12 at 22:33

I'd go with:

• Sei kein Weichei
  • Sei kein Baby
  • Sei kein Feigling

The word Weichei is the "mother" of all decending Weicheiwörter.

A couple of years ago, there was quite some hype about these words and people came up with more and more synonyms for Weichei, as this textfile shows.

I guess you have expressions like that in other languages as well, but 3000 is really impressive, even though many of them are really far-fetched...

Das hatte ich schon total verdrängt :D +1 dafür –  Em1 Feb 10 '12 at 7:49

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.