Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Why the meaning of the intransitive verb "daherkommen" is quite equivocal (I suppose)?

1. Der Glaube an Gott, Familie und deutsche Einheit kommt meist polemisch daher, gegen den politischen Gegner gewendet.
  2. Die andere Option kommt etwas bescheidener daher.
  3. Kein anderer Van der Kompaktklasse kommt derzeit so dynamisch und schwungvoll daher.
  4. Wenn der Mensch nur noch als Homo oeconomicus daherkommt und nur noch Nutzen und Präferenzen im Kopf hat, dann wird er zum rationalen Trottel.
  5. Der Economist nennt sich eine Zeitung, obgleich er doch als Magazin daherkommt.
  6. Doch was auf den ersten Blick wie eine großzügige Geste des Konzerns daherkommt, entpuppt sich auf den zweiten als ein überaus fragwürdiger Handel mit der Politik.
share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

Why do you think they are equivocal?

The adverb "daher" can be used as an adverb of location, meaning1

1. a movement from one place to another
  2. a movement without relation to a predefined location
  3. a statement with relation to a cause, a fundament of knowledge.

All your examples fit in the 2nd category.

1: See "Grammatisch-kritisches Wörterbuch der Hochdeutschen Mundart" (1811), column 1370.

share|improve this answer

Actually, all the OP's examples fit in the 3rd category (although I'm not so sure about 'relation to a cause'). There is no movement involved whatsoever. –  Martin Feb 22 '12 at 19:33

@Martin "kommen" is a movement for me. And with the 3rd category I meant "daher" in sense of "deswegen". –  Karl von Moor Feb 23 '12 at 9:21

Usually yes, but its not used in that sense here. Here, it means something like "appears to be". –  Martin Feb 23 '12 at 12:43

@Martin I do not think it plays a role, whether the movement is physical or not. –  Karl von Moor Feb 23 '12 at 16:17

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.