Is there anything one could recommend to get rid of the most common mistakes the non-native German speakers make?

I love the "Is That What You Mean?" series by Pinguin which features very nice pictures illustrating every mistake:

Is That What You Mean?

It would be best to find something similar for German language. Images are not mandatory, but they are a very helpful visual aid for memorizing these mistakes and avoiding them.

What I learned just now: the correct form is "Try phoning Michael". (I took me some time to understand the cartoon.) Feb 26, 2012 at 14:27
  • @HendrikVogt: So nice of you to mention that. I did try and didn't get the point and was shy to ask!
    – user508
    Feb 26, 2012 at 17:03
  • @Hendrik: Ah, you're right. Not knowing whether there was some context missing I thought it had something to do with "trying to reach so."
    – musiKk
    Feb 27, 2012 at 10:56
  • @HendrikVogt As long as you figured it out on your own there are high chances that you'll never forget it ;-) Mar 1, 2012 at 10:36
  • @Alexander: Indeed! That's also why I didn't provide more explanation - leave something to figure out :-) Mar 1, 2012 at 11:14

1 Answer 1

Are you looking for something about idiomatic language, or mistakes in general? If the latter, I think you'd enjoy 50 Ways to Improve Your German, it's very light and easy to read (alas, not many cartoons).

For something more comprehensive, 1001 Pitfalls in German is pretty well-known.

Hope that helps!

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.