This question is present as a matter of historical interest. While you are encouraged to help maintain its answers, please understand that "big list" questions are not generally allowed on German Language and Usage and will be closed per the FAQ.
I want to practice my listening comprehension and build up my grammar and vocabulary.
I find movies to be a good way to do this as it is full of dialogue by native German speakers talking at normal real-life speed, and if I get really stuck I can turn on subtitles.
Things I'm looking for:
- Dialogue that is clear and close to High German or at least isn't full of strong regional dialect.
- If it teaches something about German life or culture that would be good (e.g. Goodbye Lenin).
- I'd also prefer films that are enjoyable to watch in their own right.
- Should be easily available on DVD (preferably in the UK or through sites like amazon.de).
- Should have (optional) English subtitles.
What are some recommendations for movies that learners will find beneficial?