I want to practice my listening comprehension and build up my grammar and vocabulary.
I find movies to be a good way to do this as it is full of dialogue by native German speakers talking at normal real-life speed, and if I get really stuck I can turn on subtitles.
Things I'm looking for:
- Dialogue that is clear and close to High German or at least isn't full of strong regional dialect.
- If it teaches something about German life or culture that would be good (e.g. Goodbye Lenin).
- I'd also prefer films that are enjoyable to watch in their own right.
- Should be easily available on DVD (preferably in the UK or through sites like amazon.de).
- Should have (optional) English subtitles.
What are some recommendations for movies that learners will find beneficial?