Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm currently learning German with Duolingo. In some of the lessons and daily practices, I have to listen to a recorded voice and type the German words that are spoken.

I seem to continually get confused between "Er" and "Ihr"

(i.e.: "Er trinkt Wasser" vs "Ihr trinkt Wasser")

Of course, it's made all the more difficult as you cannot detect which pronoun is being used by the conjugation of the verb! It's also made difficult by the differences in accent or dialect (at least to my ears - Duolingo uses both male and female voices interchangeably).

Is there any trick to understanding the subtlety of pronunciation between these two pronouns?

share|improve this question
It can't be "ihr" in your example, because then the correct sentence would be "Ihr esst einen Apfel". Generally you can find out which one is meant by looking at the verb. –  Landei Mar 9 '12 at 10:29
@Landei - My bad. I chose the wrong verb to demonstrate as, of course, the verb "essen" is different between Er and Ihr. I've edited to use the verb trinken, as that is the same conjugation for both Er and Ihr. –  CraigTP Mar 9 '12 at 11:07

2 Answers 2

up vote 12 down vote accepted

"Er" is pronounced like the English word air and "Ihr" is pronounced like the English word ear. If the recorded voice does pronounce it wrong, I don't know how to help you. Do you also have these texts in a book, so you can follow the text while hearing?

share|improve this answer

I had thought as much myself (air vs ear) however, the recorded voices (for which I don't have the exact text at the time as the exercise is to listen then type out the spoken words) seem to pronounce Er and Ihr very similarly, at least to my ears. And I fully appreciate you can't hear the same voices I can - at least not without signing up for Duolingo! :) –  CraigTP Mar 9 '12 at 11:13
@Korinna: One should be a bit careful. Air and ear are indeed similar to er and ihr, but the vowels are much more open. So I wouldn't really say "pronounced like", but I'd say the difference between the two German words is similar to the difference between the two English words. –  Hendrik Vogt Mar 9 '12 at 12:00

Thank you so much Korinna that really helped me. :D –  user2558 Feb 25 '13 at 10:13

Despite the formal difference ([eːɐ̯] vs. [iːɐ̯]), I'd also say, that there is more air pressure in the utterance of "ihr" than "er", at least in casual speaking. May be, you can hear for that difference.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.