Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

The English words foo, bar and baz are often used as placeholder nonsense names in programming. In French, "toto, titi, tata, tutu" are common.

Which words are used for this purpose in German code?

To clarify: Although company-local traditions are interesting, that's not what I'm asking about.

share|improve this question
This reminds me of an April-Fools joke, where Microsoft introduces G# (German Sharp), a C# implementation with German keywords ;) –  OregonGhost May 27 '11 at 11:14
Better an April-Fools joke than the foolish German VBA they really created. –  bernd_k May 27 '11 at 13:03
Mein Vorschlag für eine (mehr oder weniger) akkurate Übersetzung wäre Zeug, Kneipe und Bartholomäus. ;-) –  deceze May 27 '11 at 14:09
Random Wikipedia connection: de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metasyntaktische_Variable –  Debilski Jun 12 '11 at 2:00
@ogerard: With accents? :D –  OregonGhost Jun 21 '11 at 19:40

9 Answers 9

up vote 32 down vote accepted

Since programming is often deeply connected with the English language, I guess many if not most people use foo, bar, etc. too.

However there is of course blub and blubber or at my company blurbs, blurbsi, blubberhupps and the like are hot. It's sort of a local meme.

share|improve this answer
Yeah, foo*/*bar is fine. I often use bla and blub as well. Or even blablabla etc. :P –  poke May 27 '11 at 10:54
+1 for blubberhupps. –  OregonGhost May 27 '11 at 10:55
user of bla(bla) and blub(b) here, too! –  ladybug May 27 '11 at 11:00
+1 I also use foo and bar, and sometimes bla and blubb. –  mru Jun 12 '11 at 9:16

Muh, lala and bum, of course.

This does not provide an answer to the question. To critique or request clarification from an author, leave a comment below their post. –  Tom Au Aug 30 '12 at 19:11

Ich nehm eene, meene, miste. Kommt glaub ich aus der Augsburger Puppenkiste. "Eene, meene, miste, es rappelt in der Kiste ...". Bedeutet, soweit ich weiß, in etwa das gleiche wie foo bar baz. :-)

Ne, das "eene meene miste" entstammt der "Rappelkiste", einer ZDF-Kleinkindersendung aus den 70er Jahren im Kielwasser der Sesamstraße, siehe fernsehserien.de/index.php?serie=555. –  Ray Nov 16 '11 at 16:31

A friend has told me that his professor extensively used “wilde” (= “wild”) and “wutz” (= diminutive of “boar”, “pig”) as metasyntactic variables. To this day, these are my favourites.

Wilde Wutz? Oo +1 –  OregonGhost May 27 '11 at 13:15

This is not representative, but my first variable of choice is always "willi", followed by "otto" and then "franz"

All German Programmers I know use foo / bar. So do I, most of the time, but my own private variation is:

Nase, Hase, Vase, Blase (etc.)

+1: You got me at Hase. –  OregonGhost May 27 '11 at 21:48

Das ist gut, werde ich in Zukunft auch verwenden. :-) –  Steffen Roller Mar 27 '13 at 22:21

I once worked on a project where the temporary or test variables were always called Hugo. Don't know though if anyone else uses it.

I know KarlHugo, paired with Klarabella. Don't ask. –  OregonGhost May 27 '11 at 11:13

@OregonGhost: Mikki kommt mal her? –  ogerard Jun 21 '11 at 19:41

@ogerard: Maybe I misunderstand you, but shouldn't Klarabella be paired with Rudi Ross in that case, since it's Klarabella Kuh? ;) –  OregonGhost Jun 21 '11 at 19:42

Wahrscheinlich waren die Variablen alle für den Hugo. :-) –  celtschk Oct 21 '12 at 12:49

Bla is sometimes used. And Blub if you need a second. But since the actual code language is typically English, not German, you can use the same as in English. In my company, however, you'll find a suspicious amount of bunny in code... Everybody likes bunnies.

I hate the use of foo, bar, baz, by the way. Better think of real examples. Now that I think about it, I rarely encountered German examples with foo, bar and baz. May be coincedence though.

Yes, when reading code (and trying to understand it), usage of foo doesn't really help. –  Paŭlo Ebermann Jun 5 '11 at 21:54

You could go with dings–bums, dingens–kirchens, bla–blubb–blafasel. But if we are talking about programming context, then I wager the English placeholders foo and bar are the most popular by far.

+1 for dingsbums, great word :) –  Sebastian Jun 2 '11 at 11:35
I use "bla" and "blubb", too. Additionally "laber", which can be extended to "laber-sülz", e.g. for testing Umlaut capabilities. –  Landei Mar 2 '12 at 19:08

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.