Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I am trying to build a blog home page with the usual list of article excerpts, where the excerpt contains a read more link to the complete article.

In english a read more link might look like:

Continue reading “article title”

or

read more

and similar variants.

The possible German translations (and variants):

• Weiterlesen
  • Weiterlesen “article title”
  • Hier weiterlesen “article title”
  • Weiter geht es hier

sound weird to me, and I am German :-) .

[UPDATE] To get an impression why I have the strange feeling with the German "solutions" just grab a screenreader and open a site like spiegel.de, when the text is spoken out loud, the "mehr" just doesn't feel right, in contrast the English "continue reading ..." sounds natural for me.

In a book you might find a variation of "lesen Sie weiter auf Seite xx", that does feel natural and fits to the medium, I try to find a natural sounding solution for a blog (digital medium) too

Are there more and hopefully (semantically) better alternatives ?

share|improve this question
Weird? What's wrong with "weiterlesen"? I've seen it everywhere in WordPress blogs e.g. DIE “WEITERLESEN”-FUNKTION. Sounds perfect to me and I am not German! –  user508 Mar 14 '12 at 0:28

the strange feeling comes especially from speaking the text out loud (or take a screenreader), in english the continue reading just sounds natural and connects to the excerpt, in german "weiterlesen" does not connect (for me) –  Michael Lange Mar 14 '12 at 7:10

Just Weiter (example) and you can also just use the headline as link. –  Em1 Mar 14 '12 at 8:14

I have a hard time understanding why "weiterlesen" is worse than "continue reading". What is so natural about the latter? For a blind person both phrases should apply equally good/bad. –  musiKk Mar 14 '12 at 12:11

for me - in german - weiterlesen sounds strange, out of context and disconnected from the preceding excerpt, it might be the same for the english version (for a native speaker), but it is not for me –  Michael Lange Mar 14 '12 at 15:48

1 Answer 1

up vote 6 down vote accepted

Weiterlesen ...

is the best of your alternatives and is used for example in Mambo/Joomla CMS in German.

Alternatively, you can use

Mehr ...

which is often used in German online news pages (e.g. Spiegel Online).

share|improve this answer

thanks for the "Mehr" variant, but as said in an above comment, my "weird" impression comes from speaking the text out loud (or use a screenreader) and the feeling that the - often used - german solution does not "connect" to the text –  Michael Lange Mar 14 '12 at 7:12

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.